Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pronounce it right!

TianXiaTianXia Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
edited July 2006 in Amherst College
It's not pronounced Am-Herst, it's Am-erst!

Yeah, the H is silent, basically.
Post edited by TianXia on

Replies to: Pronounce it right!

• amherst_alumamherst_alum Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    alumni's blog: www.amerst.com
  • miaolingmiaoling Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    Yep, I got over it alright (been teaching the fact to everyone I bump into). But there's also this seemingly more stupid issue: is the A pronounced like the A in "car" or in "cat"?
  • annandale1annandale1 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    it's pronounced like a in apple, or in am (as in I am going to Amherst)

i have to teach the same thing to everyone around here too, lol

Typical Convo

Where are you going to school?
    Am'erst
    Is Amherst like in Boston
    No, it is in Centeral MA, an hour and half west of Boston, btw... it is Am'erst

or it would go like:

Where are you going to school next year?
    Am'erst
    Where is AmHerst?
    It is in Mass
    Is AmHerst like an ivy league school?
    nope. by the way, it is pronounced Am'erst

and I have certain variations of these, but for some reason everyone calls in Amherst. Even couple of my teachers who are from Boston, and are really into college admissions (one of them is the main admissions guy for Tufts in Northern Virginia)

ironically though, I heard several people say it AmHerst even when I was AT the school. Like people who actually attend the school. Now that really annoyed me...
  • TianXiaTianXia Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Well, that's the local Am'erst accent for you, I guess. We say "route" like "root" instead of "rowte," also.
  • amherst_alumamherst_alum Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Only people at Amherst pronounce it that way. Few ppl outside the College do the same. Amerst might have been the correct pronunciation when Jeff first came to the States, but for all I know, according to majority rule, "Amherst" is how common people would say it.
    So I don't think we should look at it from a "right or wrong" perspective. Rather, I think it's more of the case that we at the College now choose to pronounce the name that way in order to distinguish ourselves from the common people. As an insidious quote goes at the College, "the H is for peasants" mehehehe.

Certainly there are those at the College who choose to mingle with the Common. Fine, I say, whatever flows their boats.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    Conversely, Williams students are specifically instructed to pronounce the word "Amherst" with as much emphasis on the H as possible.
  • rtichokartrtichokart Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    oh man yeah the pronunciation thing is mad annoying!!! i've given up on trying to correct people bc honestly, i think it sounds better with the h...
  • evitajr1evitajr1 Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    Last year, a friend, a Dean at MIT, heard us pronounce it with the "h" and let me know forcefully that the h is silent. This was when D was trying to determine where she would go, and she said, "You have to let her go to Amherst - it's a mini-ivy!"
  • GleechGleech Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Only people at Amherst pronounce it that way. Few ppl outside the College do the same. Amerst might have been the correct pronunciation when Jeff first came to the States, but for all I know, according to majority rule, "Amherst" is how common people would say it.
    **** that! the correct pernounciation is the way people actually from there say it. my name , ian, wouldn't be pernounced eye-ann, no matter how many people tried it. Likewise, Amherst is Amherst without the h because people from Amherst say it that way.
    ironically though, I heard several people say it AmHerst even when I was AT the school. Like people who actually attend the school. Now that really annoyed me...
    imagine how much it annoys us locals.
    Yeah, don't you think it's a bad thing that Amherst doesn't require admission interviews :p just to keep out the mispronouncers and preserve the elitist air:D
  • ajh33ajh33 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    the worst is when u tell someone your going to amherst and they say...Umass?...insulting
  • Timur the LameTimur the Lame Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    That's not that bad. Hear in SoCal, very few people have even heard of Amherst. The usual response I get is, "Oh is that a community college?"
  • jackson17jackson17 Registered User Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
    Not that many people in Norcal know about it either....I say "amerst" and they usually don't know about it or they say "oh, you mean Umass, right?"
    It's like, no.......I'm not confused here!
  • LemonjelloLemonjello Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    whatever. The people who matter know.
    What I hate the most about it is the way my Dad keeps saying "Yeah, it sounds like Harvard anyway!" You know, he's the typical Azn dad who has only the Ivys in mind. DARN I'M SO SICK OF THIS HARVARD FANATICISM!
This discussion has been closed.