Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
annandale1annandale1 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
edited July 2006 in Amherst College
I am sure most of you know that Dan Brown, author of DaVinci code is from Amherst (http://www.danbrown.com/meet_dan/index.html)

I think it is pretty cool :)

I just wish he had shown Langdon as a professor from Amherst instead of mentioning Harvard 5 billion times, would have been nice publicity of our school. Except I guess that Harvard attracts the masses more than Amherst does

regardless, I think it is pretty neat that he is from Amherst.
Post edited by annandale1 on

Replies to: Dan Brown

• TianXiaTianXia Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Emily Dickinson is from Amherst too, you know...

Regardless, it's just as well that Langdon is from Harvard rather than Amherst. If it were Amherst, we'd be getting flooded by clueless tourists all the time. And everyone hates those tourists.
  • ajh33ajh33 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    dan brown is from amherst but doesn't give any money to the school...only to philips andover, his high school
  • xGods_FavoritexxGods_Favoritex Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    Dan Brown went to Exeter, actually...

I heard that he named all the characters in Angels and Demons after faculty at Exeter.
  • rtichokartrtichokart Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    yeah! hate the tourists!
  • ajh33ajh33 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    my bad...i thot it was andover because thats the better one
  • GleechGleech Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Emily Dickinson is from Amherst too, you know...

Regardless, it's just as well that Langdon is from Harvard rather than Amherst. If it were Amherst, we'd be getting flooded by clueless tourists all the time. And everyone hates those tourists.
    she's from the town of amherst, she didn't go.
    Oh, yeah, I know, thats what I meant. I was just surprised that Dan Brown would be better known for the name "Amherst" than Emily Dickinson is all.
  • xGods_FavoritexxGods_Favoritex Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    "my bad...i thot it was andover because thats the better one"

Aha! I love you, man.
  • annandale1annandale1 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    brown is by no means the most famous/best person that has graduated from Amherst

it's just that I started this thread right after I finished reading DaVinci Code (and saw the movie the next day). Since so many people are talking about it nowadays, I thought it would be appropriate to post it.

Actually, I did not know he went there till I had finished the book, and I just thought about maybe he could have made the pratoganist go to Amherst...

Apparently his next book is coming out next year or so, and would be about DC
  • miaolingmiaoling Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    My big bro who just graduated from Amherst says Dan Brown isn't exactly popular there for two reasons: one, mentioned above, that he didn't give Amherst any $$$ although it was Amherst who financed his Europe visit so he could learn loads there, and second b/c his novels are trash, with the exception of Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Okay, I only quoted his words, but the impression isn't nice all the same. Personally I do hate the fact that he contributed to the Harvard cult. Do you notice Amherst isn't getting the widespread reputation that it deserves? It would have been good advertising for the school if Brown had made Langdon teach at Amherst instead of that over-represented Harvard. Really, I wonder what's Brown's impression of his own alma mater?
    About celebrities who went to Amherst, we have a president (Calvin Coolidge), three Nobel laureates, lots of politicians and big bizmen, a couple of inventors and other notable personages. Btw, Amherst didn't go coed until 1977 or so, so Dickinson couldn't possibly have gone there;) Looks like she went to MHC, if she went to college at all:)
    Dickinson definitely didn't go to Amherst College, she's just from the town and lived about a ten minute walk from the school. I don't think she went to college at all. Otherwise that whole thing about her being a recluse was all a lie.

On the other hand, Brown is like Tom Cruise minus the talent. No one really likes him. And Coolidge was a horrible president.
  • annandale1annandale1 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    Frost taught at Amherst for some time

now that's hard to beat!
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 3,438 Senior Member
    Dickinson definitely didn't go to Amherst College, she's just from the town and lived about a ten minute walk from the school. I don't think she went to college at all. Otherwise that whole thing about her being a recluse was all a lie.
    Emily Dickinson lived in Amherst; her father, brother, and grandfather had various Amherst College connections. She attended Mt. Holyoke (which was then a "female seminary", rather than a college), but for less than one year.
  • miaolingmiaoling Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    Looks like Dickinson really did went to MHC, according to all MHC literature the school sent me;) And she could be a recluse all the same. I mean, back then colleges didn't have all this socializing, drinking and getting laid and stuff, did they?;)
    Coolidge is pretty unknown among the presidential line, yes. At least he wasn't as pathetic as Nixon (I still can't get over this guy). But what's all this talk about "Tom Cruise minus the talent"? Prejudice aside, I think Brown IS good-looking and smart, all right.
    And yeah, Robert Frost. Who can forget the library name? Not when it'll be the place I'll be hanging around most of my time @ Am'erst:)
  • GleechGleech Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Corbett's right, she didn't go to HMC for long. Frost was a professor for several years, i think.
    Dickinson didn't spend most of her life at the "Dickinson Homestead" but in a house where Ren's is now.

Uma Thurman's also from the town of Amherst. and she's a lot hotter than emily dickinson. ;)
This discussion has been closed.