Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Amherst College Class of 2022!!!

Replies to: Amherst College Class of 2022!!!

• kacombskacombs Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    edited March 25
    @OuchThatHurt Thanks! I'm not sure I really have a particular "hook". I am white, female, and go to large public school in Lexington, Ky. I do live with a single mom with 3 kids- on paper our financial situation looks pretty grim, but we do fine. I have a 33 ACT, and I'm in my school's gifted and talented program/liberal arts academy. GPA- 3.8-3.85 unweighted, 4.6-4.7 weighted. Not sure of my exact class rank but somewhere between top 10-20%. Decent extracurricular involvement and leadership positions, mainly focused around political activism and community service. I don't play an instrument or do any sports. I started my own cake decorating business thing when I was 12... I attended a 5 week Governor's Scholars Program before senior year that was pretty tough to get into (about 1000 of Kentucky's "best and brightest" juniors make it every year)... I have an internship working with foster kids this year... I'm in NHS and an AP Scholar with Distinction but other than that I have no significant awards. I wrote my common app essay about how much I love food... lol. And I honestly threw together my supplemental essay the night it was due. I wrote something about how people need to be more open-minded and find common ground with one another which honestly sounds pretty cheesy. My economic/familial status may have given me the diversity advantage? I used a good portion of the additional info section to kinda talk about my dad's negative influence in my life and how it's affected me, my mental health, and my school performance (he's not the best guy). That's all I can think of lol. I've reread my acceptance letter so many times because I'm still shocked it's real. I felt like such a mediocre applicant for such a great school and had 0% confidence I'd get in.
  • lilycanlilycan Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    im a triple legacy (my dad, brother, and sister all attended) and got in to amherst on friday! i have been waitlisted by most of my other schools so far and i absolutely love amherst, so most likely i will be there next fall! see yall then
  • OuchThatHurtOuchThatHurt Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey @kacombs don't undersell yourself, that's great stuff! I'm sure it'll also be helpful to all those who read this thread next year. I particularly like the fact that you have a cake decorating business (I myself own a fandom candle business) because let's be real: that's super awesome.

Congratulations once again :)
  • junior1818junior1818 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    @equality4all did you end up getting in lol?
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    edited March 26
    Thank you @OuchThatHurt ! And that's awesome!
  • BowieRulesBowieRules Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @kacombs Have you applied via QuestBridge?
    @BowieRules Nope- I unfortunately didn't even find out about Questbridge until it was too late to apply!
  • BowieRulesBowieRules Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @kacombs My D was admitted via QuestBridge, she got VERY generous financial aid too, and first college to offer to pay for travel to Overnight Open House. Are you going? Have you received financial aid package?
    edited March 27
    @BowieRules I have not yet received my financial aid information, but I was offered travel funding for the overnight open house as well!
  • equality4allequality4all Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    Lol nope I didn't, became too depressed and just totally forgot about CC. Thanks guys for the fun in the time being tho.
  • MorePowerToYouMorePowerToYou Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited March 28
    @equality4all All Hi, I am parent who read this thread from outside. Just created an account today to wish some kids good luck! I have particularly been worried about you. Hope that you read your acceptance and moved past it in - whatever the result was. Remember that a college is just as good as it's students. You will shine where-ever you go!
  • SangkookSangkook Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    My D got in Waitlist with Biology major. does anyone have a stat for getting off from Waitlist?
  • sanjosedadsanjosedad Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @Sangkook, I don't want to disappoint you, at the top selective schools, the chances of getting into from waitlist is almost close to zero! They already admitted 300+ students more than the class size for the freshman year, 450. Because, from their experience of doing this year over year, they have a pretty good idea how many from total admitted will eventually accept and attend Amherst. Same is true for all the top selective colleges around the nation. Good luck anyway.
  • sanjosedadsanjosedad Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I was going over the financial aid package from Amherst last night with my D18. We were disappointed that their package is less than Williams and Pomona. I tried to talk to FinAid office, they told me unless my income from 2016 to 2017 has gone down, then they can reconsider it. But my income in fact went up as I changed my job. So, the prospect is even bleaker to get any further aid from them. It's a mystery how with the exact same financial info, one college offers more or less aid than other similar ranking colleges! I wish all these colleges use a single calculative method of coming up with the aid number!
    Due to the less aid package, our D18 is dropping Amherst from her list for final pick. Now it's between Pomona vs. Williams for her.