right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Lily Wuerth will be live on our Instagram page today at 3pm ET to talk about how she used extracurriculars to get into Georgia Tech. ASK HER ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Amherst College Places Men's Lacrosse Team on Probation & Terminates Coach

MeddyMeddy 622 replies40 threads Member
edited March 21 in Amherst College

Replies to: Amherst College Places Men's Lacrosse Team on Probation & Terminates Coach

• PublisherPublisher 11061 replies145 threads Senior Member
    edited March 21
    These incidents at Amherst College are both disturbing & disgusting.

Yesterday another post dealt with vandalism at another super elite LAC (Middlebury College in Vermont). It wasn't clear to me if the suspected vandals were or were not connected to a sports team.
    edited March 21
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1587 replies45 threads Senior Member
    Agree - disturbing and disgusting that in this day and age these types of things are happening, especially among our supposed best and brightest.
    · Reply · Share
  • MeddyMeddy 622 replies40 threads Member
    @Publisher I agree. I have so many wonderful things to say about Amherst College, so I hated the idea of posting something so terrible ( <--I even struggle to find a word that encompasses the gravity of this). Many were concerned that with COVID-19 taking center stage and students leaving campus that this would be lost in the shuffle. As promised by the school, they addressed it.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11638 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Amherst students did this stuff, now you're forcing them (publicly) to own it, @Meddy. This seems like an important, necessary post.
    · Reply · Share
  • rmrodrigurmrodrigu 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited March 23
    While AC banned frats years ago, including underground frats more recently, these behaviors are reminiscent of frat culture. Very toxic, very elitist, very exclusive. The college did address it, but the underlying issue goes beyond racial and cultural awareness: they need to address the privileged status of sports teams on campus and their internal culture (recognizing of course, that not all teams have this, and not all members of a team subscribe to discriminatory views).
    edited March 23
    · Reply · Share
  • divarosedivarose 108 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I just saw this... a few years ago my daughter visited the campus, and on paper, it was a really good fit. Almost the first group of students she ran across were several members of the men's lacrosse team. And that encounter was the end of her considering attending Amherst, it was such a turn off. I'm glad they are addressing it, but they need to be looking at their admissions policies too, to prevent more problems in the future.
    · Reply · Share
    @divarose It is unfortunate that your daughter had that experience. I agree that further work is necessary in addressing this. Hopefully Amherst can be an example of what good can come out of this very bad situation. Time will tell.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 8
    @ChemAM Thank you for your thoughtful comment and insight #tusksup! Here is the referenced apology by members of the Men's Lacrosse team:

https://amherststudent.com/article/amherst-lacrosse-letter-to-the-college-community?fbclid=IwAR3h2cLTaGSWz4i39-oFBSqKmP8y9BdFFRCwLMpav_I727YAEoEszkQwzck
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • divarosedivarose 108 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @ChemAM Thank you for this information... It is a shame the damage these type of incidents do, because they really do cause serious harm to the perception and reputation of a school. It sounds like the administration is working on changing some of the unfortunate culture with this team, which is very positive.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldchief78oldchief78 67 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Publisher wrote: »
    @ChemAM:

Conservative does not maen that one is racist, just as liberal does not mean that one is open-minded.

Jerks are jerks.

Agree. And, this problem (team conduct inconsistent with the school's stated mission) has recently occurred at least one other time in the athletic department. That time it was met by Biddy Martin with much the same type of rhetoric that she recently displayed. The roster archives of the offending team have been wiped clean on the school's website. Time will tell whether this discipline will make a difference.
    · Reply · Share