right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Amherst test optional policy?

InterLokiInterLoki 13 replies9 threads Junior Member
Several extremely selective colleges have said they will be "test optional" for the class or 2025 and that applicants who submit no standardized test scores "will not be disadvantaged." Amherst does not say this but several colleges that attract similar applicants (including Brown, Yale and UVA) have used these or similar words.

If a "test optional" college does not say that applicants who submit no scores "will not be disadvantaged," does that mean something different? Does it mean that the applicants who opt not to submit scores probably will be at a disadvantage? Or that they will be at a disadvantage unless they have a good excuse for not submitting scores?

Amherst, Pomona and Wesleyan are among the many colleges that have made submission of standardized test scores optional withlyout claiming not to hold that option against applicants who choose it. Is that sort of like giving someone the "option" of writing "I don't really want to get in to your college" on the application form?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Amherst test optional policy?

• Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2249 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Hard to tell. Honestly, I think it's best to have the test. IF you can't then it's likely they won't consider the lack of test in the context of the application. Schools like Amherst are still going to be looking to see if you are a top candidate. For example, a kid who can demonstrate competence at a really high level might not need the test as much as a kid who has grades from a school no one at Amherst has likely heard of. Colleges tend to know various high schools. If you are applying from one which has not sent kids there recently I think you would be disadvantaged despite what they say. IF you were a NMF and didn't take the SAT, I doubt they'd care.
    · Reply · Share
  • DCA28DCA28 21 replies1 threads Junior Member
    The test optional policy for Amherst is clearly stated on its website. Here is the linkhttps://www.amherst.edu/admission/apply/firstyear/testing#:~:text=Required Standardized Testing&text=SAT or ACT Testing: In,or ACT scores is optional.

It is also among top national liberal arts colleges on the Fair Test list.
    · Reply · Share
  • InterLokiInterLoki 13 replies9 threads Junior Member
    To me, the Amherst website now clearly states that your application will be considered without test scores but there is not a clear statement from Amherst that you won't be penalized if you choose not to submit test scores. Other colleges say you won't be penalized (disadvantaged). Maybe they're telling the truth and maybe they're not, but I haven't even seen a statement to that effect from Amherst. Have you? Maybe I missed it.
    · Reply · Share