Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What is the best thing about Amherst?

5haron5haron Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Amherst College
What is the best thing about Amherst?
Post edited by 5haron on

Replies to: What is the best thing about Amherst?

• GleechGleech Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Bueno y Sano
  • RubinatorRubinator Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Is that place actually good? I walked by it in Northampton, and was wondering.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    The thing that D likes and I agree with her, is the Open Curriculum, so you can dabble in classes that interest you, but wouldn't normally take if you were trying to meet requirements.
  • micromommicromom Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Are students given grades upon completion of courses? I thought I read somewhere that Amherst gave written evaluations for each course.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Yes, you get grades. The students do at times evaluate the profs and courses.
  • micromommicromom Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Thanks ejr1!
  • GleechGleech Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    yes. bueno is amazing. both the one in NoHo and the one in Amherst.
  • unregisteredunregistered Registered User Posts: 1,180 Senior Member
    Amazing restaurants in Amherst and Northampton, cute quaint small town that still manages to not feel isolated, a college president who knows the students and even teaches there, terrific small classes, great mentoring and advising, good financial aid.
  • TianXiaTianXia Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Technically, President Marx only teaches one class, though it's fair to say he's not half bad as a professor. Nice guy, though.

The written evaluations thing is for Hampshire College, not Amherst. Hampshire is right down the road and is also in the town of Amherst, though, so it can get confusing.
  • miaolingmiaoling Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    Uh, late-night hanging out sessions with all these super smart people you call your classmates? Actually I like a lot of things about this place, but I haven't been around for a long time nor been to many other colleges so I'm not sure they're unique to Amherst. Anyway...study spaces and computers are everywhere and open for public use (the computers at Harvard are not - really annoyingly elitist), lots of events with free food, nice new renovated clean freshman dorms (you'll appreciate this when you've seen the creaking floors at Smith), nice accessible profs (I never so much as looked at their office hours; I just drop in), school runs like butter, to quote PtonReview terminology (I reversed the order of my name in the registry, which would have really screwed me up elsewhere, but the Dean of Students rectified it in minutes; class reg is a breeze), beautiful campus, and of course the reason I'm here instead of Williams: THE OPEN CURRICULUM!
This discussion has been closed.