Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP! (Essay)

2»

Replies to: HELP! (Essay)

• TheOneCurlyFryTheOneCurlyFry Registered User Posts: 2,415 Senior Member
    Thank you.
  • faustiangrayfaustiangray Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I responded to that same prompt with a rather impersonal essay and was accepted ED. However, I planned out my essays so that my commonapp displayed my personal characteristics, while my supplement would offer another type of writing.
    I'm not sure if my CommonApp essays show enough of my personality. Could you read them and tell me? :) Please?
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    What have you seen with people making excuses for others instead of having them take responsibility for their actions? Surely you have seen this in your own life, as well as in politics. This might just be a starting off point for you to think about. What about how parents see their own children?
  • NBZNBZ Registered User Posts: 402 Member
    it's nice to find other international applicants to Amherst!

Yeah I'm also stuck on the Amherst essay, it's the only one I still have left.
    Where are you from?

The Amherst essay is tough. I still have a bunch of "Why <college name>?" essays and the Colgate essay. The Colgate's due on the 16th, so yeah.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Think about the many times a classmate or friend has done something and you knew about it. What did you do? What if your parent or someone did something heinous, what would you do? If no real examples, then use hypotheticals. Look up the Unibomber and how he was captured. There are many examples of this in daily life. It doesn't have to be an earth shattering experience for it to be relevant to you. We face these dilemmas on a daily basis. How do you face them? This will tell Amherst a LOT about you personally and your ethics and how you handle adversity. Good luck!
2»
This discussion has been closed.