Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is 890 way too long?:(

christinesunchristinesun Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited December 2006 in Amherst College
hi guys! as the title goes, are 890 words way too long for the supplemental essay? i know it's more difficult to write a short one and i should really trim down my essay a bit, but would my essay be really irritating if it's that long? thanks!
Post edited by christinesun on

Replies to: is 890 way too long?:(

• NBZNBZ Registered User Posts: 402 Member
    i just finished mine and found it's 700! So I'm also worried that my essay's too long.

Can someone help us?
  • ohh miss zannaohh miss zanna Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    I'm sure that if the essay is excellent and that every single word contributes to the essay as a whole, than it should be fine.
  • GraceGrace Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    I know you're getting close to the deadline, but try to let it rest for a day and then go back to it. Then try to cut.

Good luck.
  • CatfishCatfish Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    I think going a bit over 500 would be okay, but 890 is very likely to be too much. That's almost twice the upper limit. Remember that the adcoms have a ton of these to read. Let it rest for a day, see if you can get a person or two to read it and make suggestions on things to condense or cut. Good luck.
  • christinesunchristinesun Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    thanks everybody! now it's 750 words and hopefully by the time i go to sleep tonight it will be 600ish..
  • GraceGrace Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    Good job! I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I bet you like it better in its slimmer version.
This discussion has been closed.