I am a rising senior in a suburb of New York. I attend a large and diverse public school. White, Jewish female.
SAT I: 780 (E) 730 (V) 650 (M) I'm taking the test again in November to try and up my math score.
SAT II US History: 800
SAT II Bio: I got a 680 the first time, I retook it and got an 800
AP World History: 5
AP French: 5
AP US History: 5
AP English Lit: 5
Next year I'm taking AP Spanish, AP Government, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, and AP English Writing.
I'm ranked 3 in a class of 520-something or other.
Awards: I got this local social studies scholarship, can't remember the name. Harvard book award.
Employment: I'm working as a counselor at a day camp this summer.
Extracurriculars: - I've been practicing yoga for years and I assisted my teacher in teaching yoga to young children with autism.
- I was Assistant Lifestyles editor of the school newspaper, then Opinions editor, then Associate editor, and now Editor-in-Chief
-I was co-president of my school's environmental club and I organized an event that involved a fashion show of recycled goods and we raised $300 which was sent to an NY environmental organization. we got a speaker from the group to come speak at the event and local organizations around where i live to present information to the guests. We've also visited many local elementary schools to teach the students about environmental topics
- I'm an officer in my county's student environmental group
- I scored a 97 out of 100 for voice in NYSSMA (a music competition) and sang in the area all-state choir, and this year i scored a 99.
- i took piano lessons for ten years and recently began violin
- I've been swimming for my school's varsity team throughout high school
- Member of National Honors Society
- I've participated in high school musical productions
last summer I went to a french immersion camp and the summer before that I did a volunteer program in Peru for a month.
Potential hooks: I skipped a year in French and the language coordinator at my school loves me and has offered to write me a recommendation which I think would be good because she's also heard me sing and raves about my voice.
I'm thinking of applying to Amherst ED or ED2.. Does anyone have any idea of what my chances would be like? I'm afraid I might just be throwing away my ED by applying to such a competitive school, and I would appreciate any comments. If you've read this really long post, then thank you so much!