Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Heard back from diversity house open weekend?

Replies to: Heard back from diversity house open weekend?

• roamorseroamorse Registered User Posts: 843 Member
    soauthentic, someone already got in for the october one. i think it depends on when you applied.
  • So AuthenticSo Authentic - Posts: 1,241 Member
    roamorse, possibly! I submitted it two days before the deadline but the admissions director got received it two days after the deadline.
    I called and they informed me. I geuss its first come, first serve!

GA2, I actually got teh diversity open house letter I think because I was on their mailing list or either I participated ina College Summit program at Amherst College. But other than that, good luck to your daughter!
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Sorry SoAuthentic about your "postal tardiness!" We actually sent it overnight because it was right at the cutoff, the best $16.00 I have ever spent!
  • wen2huwen2hu Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Has anyone received confirmation for the october date yet and would rather go on the september one? =/ I was accepted to the sept one but i may have prior arrangements so i was wondering if anyone in october would be willing to switch reservations with me? let me know!
  • lmpwlmpw Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    wen2hu, you should work this out with the Admissions Office. They're very flexible. last year my daughter was accepted for the September weekend and her grandmother died and the funeral was the Friday prior to the weekend. Amherst switched her weekend for her (although my daughter decided to fly up after the funeral for the September weekend afterall since she knew some students from other places who were going that weekend). So, I don't think it's a big deal to change (if you let the Admissions Office know).
  • roamorseroamorse Registered User Posts: 843 Member
    got the letter today! anyone else going to the october one?
  • wen2huwen2hu Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    hmm i emailed the dean and he didnt say anything, which im guessing is a no. my situation isnt a funeral or anything, but we have a family vacation planned to last until that saturday afternoon (my dad lives 8 hours away from me so it is kinda a big deal) and then homecoming that night =/ but i guess i could have the trip cut short to friday night or something
    Rejected* :( (I feel drained right now)

.......no Further Comments!
  • EgellocaEgelloca Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    SoAuthentic - don't let this get to you. I know of students who have gotten rejected to Diversity Open House/Weekend in past years but who applied for admission and were accepted. There is hope, so don't give up - if you are truly interested in Amherst I would encourage you to apply.
    Egelloca, Did they get in via Regular decision? because alot of parents on this board said that their D or S applied ED and got in. And I'm not applying Ed to Amherst

I think its because I visited it already through the College Summit program in July
    So Authentic, I would concur, don't see a rejection from the Diversity Open House as a rejection from Amherst College. They have only so many slots and they're looking for a certain student profile. It could be (and I don't know your profile) that they don't have to sell you on Amherst. Yes, if you've already been on the campus through another program, I'm sure that was a factor in your not being invited to come back. If you like Amherst, just apply. My daughter applied ED because she knew that Amherst was her first choice. So, it made sense for her. Good luck.
    Thanks lmpw. Well, I'll definitely apply Regular. I had in me that I might be rejected because of my visit already through the College Summit program. I geuss they wanted to give others a chanceto visit the college

But wait, what do you mean by this

"It could be (and I don't know your profile) that they don't have to sell you on Amherst."
    what I meant by not having to sell you on Amherst is, they know you're interested in Amherst and you've seen the campus. With the people they're bringing in for these two special weekends, they're trying to convince these students to apply to Amherst. In a sense, they've done that with you already. So, I think you should pursue Amherst if this is one of your top choices.
    awww
    Thanks lmpw. That made me feel a little better about the "Turn-down"
    So I geuss its really because I'm already interested so I don't need to go there.
    Thansk for clearing that up.
  • tennisgirl08tennisgirl08 Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    i got a letter last weekend...accepted for october! can't wait to visit
This discussion has been closed.