Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do you love about Amherst?

AllIwantisU2AllIwantisU2 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited September 2007 in Amherst College
Hi! After visiting Amherst, I liked it very very much, and I am considering applying ED. But it is sometimes hard to tell if you really love a school from just visiting for a couple of hours so i was wondering if Amherst students could tell me what they love about their school. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by AllIwantisU2 on

Replies to: What do you love about Amherst?

• zspot9zspot9 Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    - cool people
    - extremely interesting classes (with really good professors)
    - great food in town, a 3 minute walk from the edge of campus (including the subway i have gone to literally every day for lunch)
    - loads of free time (which is probably true of most schools)
    - beautiful dorms/buildings/scenery
    - seriously, the vast majority of the people here are painfully nice and equally interesting

of course, i've only been here for three weeks
  • SparkeEcrash78SparkeEcrash78 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Actually, i heard that Amherst is "in a middle of nowhere" from a friend of mine who recently visited there.

Honestly, is the school more relatively isolated than others?
  • happycollegemomhappycollegemom Registered User Posts: 1,170 Senior Member
    yes it is, but as always, this is about personal preference. it's extremely small, yet beautiful, and certainly not urban. the small size turned my d off more than anything...too much like high school.
  • unregisteredunregistered Registered User Posts: 1,180 Senior Member
    I wouldn't call it "middle of nowhere" but I suppose that's relative.

We're surrounded by 30,000 college students, a lively art community, and we're just an hour and a half away from Boston, 3 hours from New York. How isolated can that really be?

Though I suppose if you're looking to be in a city, Amherst won't be a fit for you.
  • zspot9zspot9 Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    it's certainly a more rural setting than schools like yale or harvard, but to say that it's isolated is wrong. there are thousands and thousands of other college students in the immediate area, a lively and busy main street, plenty of plazas and a mall 5 minutes down the road, and umass kids flooding the area. i haven't once felt that i was "isolated" or "in the middle of nowhere." now, williams is another story...
  • CatfishCatfish Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    I agree with everything zpot9 said, with the same caveat.
This discussion has been closed.