Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Answering Questions

Replies to: Answering Questions

• CatfishCatfish Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    CRD456 pretty much covered everything. I just have a couple more things to add:

A search on the 5 college course catalog turns up the journalism department at UMass and some scattered courses this semester at Hampshire and Moho. I'm not sure whether you can get credit for the UMass classes, because those aren't "liberal arts". The Hampshire and Moho classes should be no problem, since they are in a liberal arts discipline.

The workload is heavy but very doable. I think it strikes a good balance overall. The only time I was really stressed all semester was close to finals time.

If you want to drink, it's very easy to do so without getting punished, so long as you don't do anything phenomenally stupid like put yourself or others in danger. That said, there are plenty of people who have no desire to drink, and sub-free housing is available if you'd like to live in that setting.

The few people I know who have taken 5 classes a semester without working themselves to death are those who are a cut above everyone else, even at Amherst. They are literally some of the smartest people I've ever met. For us mere mortals, 4 classes is plenty of work.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    B of A is not only the closest bank, but it offers special student accounts and credit cards, especially when parent(s) have an account as well.
  • starshooterstarshooter Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    CRD456, PhoebeCaufield, Catfish - much thanks for answering my questions! Definitely appreciate your responses!!
  • ErewhonErewhon Registered User Posts: 441 Junior Member
    "I have heard from a lot of people that the cross country coach is really rude to prospies asking questions."

Are you referring to Erik Nedeau? If so, don't believe everything you hear ;)
  • starshooterstarshooter Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi! Sorry, I have another question. How do intramural sports at Amherst work (in terms of eligibility, time commitment, and rigor)? I'm most interested in basketball and soccer. Is there a girls' team for both of them? Thanks in advance!
  • JPanJPan Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I have a question about the atmosphere at amherst.
    I visited my brother recently at Johns Hopkins. Just by hanging out for an hour with his friends you can tell how intelligent they are, but it's not that they're flaunting it...they just are smart. And they care about their classes, and they want to learn...to the point where seeing them doing their work almost made me want to do homework or something. It's not that they spend every hour on their work, because they don't, but they do study and they care about their classes.
    I was wondering if you've had a similar experience at amherst? anything you can tell me about the academic/social atmosphere would be helpful, thanks :)
  • CRD456CRD456 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Starshooter-I don't play intramual sports because I play a sport here, but I have some friends on teams. I think it is open to everyone and is pretty informal, with games often on weekends and sometimes during the week. You just get a group of your friends together and form a team and you make it as rigourness (or not rigourness) as you like.

JPan-I would say that is similar to Amherst. I would say most people here are smart, but there are very few people who fit the nerd sterotype. I think there aren't many people here who lock themselves in the library and study all the time. I would say most try to find the right balance between school/athletics and campus groups/socializing.
  • noojoonoojoo Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    What's the metal scene like in amherst?
  • sunshinersunshiner Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    this thread is really helpful. I'll add my question to the list.

I've been playing soccer for a really long time, and I love the sport. However, I do not intend to play on my college's team. From what I've heard/read, a very large percentage of Amherst students play varsity sports. Does this make non-athletes feel out of place? And, what is the commitment like for club sports?
  • CatfishCatfish Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    What's the metal scene like in amherst?
    I have no personal experience with the Amherst area metal scene, but this obituary of a local luthier mentions that the Pioneer Valley is home to at least one Grammy-nominated metal band. If no one here can give you anything better, I would poke around that website to get an idea of the music scene in the Pioneer Valley. It seems like a good source.
    I've been playing soccer for a really long time, and I love the sport. However, I do not intend to play on my college's team. From what I've heard/read, a very large percentage of Amherst students play varsity sports. Does this make non-athletes feel out of place? And, what is the commitment like for club sports?
    I had sort of the same concern coming here, since I never so much as played Little League, and it hasn't been any problem at all. Whenever a bunch of team members through a party, they don't throw out non-athletes or anything like that. Pretty much every party here (besides small private things in people's rooms) is open to whoever wants to come. There's no divide between athletes and non-athletes at all. Club sports vary in the level of dedication required. Some require more time commitment than others. I know the crew team has had a couple really early morning practices the last week or so, but that's not the norm. I also have some friends on the rugby team. I know they practiced a couple times a week during the season. They have a couple offseason practices coming up, but I think those are optional.
  • rhcp07rhcp07 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I don't know much about the metal scene, but bands of every kind come and play in Northampton (a free bus ride away).

Non-athletes don't feel out of place at all. Everyone has friends who are and are not on varsity teams. I play ultimate frisbee, which is a club sport. It's the most fun I've ever had in my life! If you fully commit to it, it's sometimes 5 practices a week and then a weekend tournament. That's pretty rare, though, and now that it's the off-season we practice less. Club sports are perfect because it's up to you how much you put into it. I've put in a lot and it's definitely worth it, but some of my other friends who are more casual have had a great time too. So the moral of the story is...play ultimate! Just kidding, play whatever you want, but seriously...
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    And then there is Quidditch!
  • KristinaKristina Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    Oooh, I'm gonna be a walk-on Quidditch player :D
  • froghornfroghorn Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    Same here!
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Can anybody help me with the name of shuttle services between Bradley airport and Amherst please? Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.