Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

3.7 GPA enough to be considered by Amherst?

Curious KidCurious Kid Registered User Posts: 405 Member
edited February 2008 in Amherst College
hi there everyone, i'm just wondering, is a 3.7 GPA (on a scale of 4.3, though ppl rarely get past 4) from a good community college enough to get into Amherst? Given, of course, that i have great recs, essays and ECs. thanks for any input on this issue.
Post edited by Curious Kid on

Replies to: 3.7 GPA enough to be considered by Amherst?

• fhimas88888888fhimas88888888 Registered User Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    Scores? [10 char.]
  • asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    It really depends on your school and the context of the 3.7. You might be right on par with other applicants. But it's probably the other things that will make a bigger difference. Don't knock yourself down just because of GPA. Good luck!
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Amherst rates applicants numerically, and GPA, test scores, etc., place you in a rank, then they evaluate everything else, and look at the whole picture, with essays really being important. One thing won't keep you out. However, the numbers of applicants has reached record proportions, and there are many wonderful kids just like you for each spot. There are never guarantees.
  • froghornfroghorn Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    This would be a transfer application, I assume. That, in and of itself makes the process more selective.
  • Curious KidCurious Kid Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    thanks for the responses everyone!
  • Diablo47Diablo47 Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    might be enough,
    it depends.....
    good luck~ it wont keep you out
This discussion has been closed.