Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard vs. Amherst

Replies to: Harvard vs. Amherst

• kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    @TellETubE

I was referring to the fact that Harvard is aiming for an 85 percent yield this year.
  • TellETubETellETubE Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    And I was referring to the fact that that's not relevant to Amherst.
    Don't have a hissy.

Amherst is clearly superior.

However, the vast majority of people will choose Harvard, if only for the name.
  • lmpwlmpw Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    This reminds me of when I was in graduate school in the late 1970s and worked at Saks Fifth Avenue in store number one (the one on 5th Avenue, of course). I was struck by people who bought garments only because of the label and designers name, even when there were other garments that were superior in construction, wearability, value. Some people HAVE to have the name. It really does boil down to how important it is to say you attended Harvard as an undergraduate versus graduate school.
  • noojoonoojoo Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    But then again... the whole reason behind the name factor is the purported superiority of the brand that has been built over time.

Why do most people choose mainstream brands which have reliability? Because that's how market forces work.
    Obviously Harvard is stellar but it really depends on the undergraduate experience that you want.
  • noojoonoojoo Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Obviously Harvard is stellar but it really depends on the undergraduate experience that you want.

Definitely...
    IMO, the two are very different schools, and should not be compared.
  • piccolojuniorpiccolojunior - Posts: 2,629 Senior Member
    Don't have a hissy.

Amherst is clearly superior.

However, the vast majority of people will choose Harvard, if only for the name.

lol @ sour grapes

Everyone's different...I can't stand the idea of going to a LAC so I never even considered applying to amherst, swarthmore, etc. If you're obsessed with the "perfect undergraduate experience," guess what....it ain't happening no matter where you go.
  • Counting12001Counting12001 Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    What's an Amherst - never heard of it. LOL!!!
  • rhcp07rhcp07 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    piccolojunior, I'm having the perfect undergraduate experience! Amherst is right for me, although it definitely isn't for everyone. I don't think anyone should give up on having a great experience before they even go to college. Going in with the right open, positive attitude can make all the difference.
    piccolojunior, small LAC aren't for everyone. If you want huge classes, anonymity, big college sports, greek life, etc. then you don't want a LAC. I was a Visiting Professor some years ago at UCLA and the place is so enormous you have to take buses to get around campus. But, it's a wonderful university. Undergraduates simply have a different experience there. In big universities, students do have to find smaller communities via fraternities and sororities, or other organizations to find a sense of community and identity. On LAC, the entire campus is a community (or at least that's the philosophy, the campus is a family). Undergraduates on most large campuses are taught by graduate students. I know because I've taught undergraduates as a doctoral student. At UC-Berkeley, the classes are so big that you can simply watch them on podcast. If you want close relationships with faculty and an opportunity to know most of your fellow classmates, then going to the LAC is the best choice. Some people don't need or want this.
    lol @ sour grapes

Everyone's different...I can't stand the idea of going to a LAC so I never even considered applying to amherst, swarthmore, etc. If you're obsessed with the "perfect undergraduate experience," guess what....it ain't happening no matter where you go.

Are you stalking me?
    I didn't expect to get into Harvard, so I don't have sour grapes.
    I applied to Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia, and in my opinion Amherst beats both Harvard and Columbia hands down. Princeton, it's very arguable.

Enjoy having most of your classes taught by TAs, by the way.
    Also, it's far worse to be a sore winner than a sore loser.
    I still don't understand why you IM'd me to tell me that Harvard's food is great, considering you knew I wasn't admitted.

P.S. Harvard doesn't even rank on the Princeton Review's list of "Best Campus Food," whereas I get to choose between eating at one of three schools: Bryn Mawr, Notre Dame, or Middlebury :3
  • unregisteredunregistered Registered User Posts: 1,180 Senior Member
    I think you are both embarrassing yourselves.
  • juliusthemonkeyjuliusthemonkey Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    i also visited both amherst and harvard and found that the food was equally horrible at each.

this thread has stopped being helpful.
This discussion has been closed.