Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Amherst College to Extend Need-Blind Admission Policy to International Students

screwitlahscrewitlah Registered User Posts: 1,980 Senior Member
edited April 2008 in Amherst College
https://cms.amherst.edu/news/news_releases/2008/04/node/44842
Amherst College’s board of trustees has voted to extend the school’s need-blind admission policy to international students. The change, which will take effect during the 2008-09 admissions cycle, makes the school one of just eight colleges and universities in the United States to offer such a consideration to applicants from other countries.

“From the earliest days of Amherst’s existence, the college has recognized the value of attracting the most talented students from all over the world to our community,” said President Anthony W. Marx. “By making the admission process need-blind for all applicants—including those from other countries—we hope that we are only reinforcing the message that we welcome all students to apply, regardless of financial standing. It is in everyone’s best interest that we are doing what we can to educate the best mix of future leaders.”

“Need-blind” means that a school makes admission decisions without holding financial need against that applicant. Amherst also agrees to meet the full financial need of every student who is admitted. Under previous guidelines, the college was need-blind only for American citizens and permanent residents.

Old news... but yeah baby! Another great LAC made even more accessible to internationals.
Post edited by screwitlah on

Replies to: Amherst College to Extend Need-Blind Admission Policy to International Students

• NadashNadash Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    Wow, I've never seen that before. Hope that will increase the the international % for the class of 2013. Diversity rocks.
  • screwitlahscrewitlah Registered User Posts: 1,980 Senior Member
    Nadash, you Singaporean? Aren't you a little cheesed off that you didn't wait one more year to apply? Haha seriously, no one could have known though. Congrats to you for getting into Amherst anyway!
  • NadashNadash Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    Yup, Singaporean. ORDing in November.

Cheesed off? I love my FA package. And I got in enduring "higher odds"--makes me proud. ^^ Though I suspect the policy was already enacted informally this year.
This discussion has been closed.