Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Amherst or Swarthmore?

2»

Replies to: Amherst or Swarthmore?

• LACtransferhopesLACtransferhopes Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    ha! very true.
    what was the poster implying??
  • MexiCaliDemoMexiCaliDemo Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I see we have a Hillary supporter in our presence.
    Touchy, touchy.
  • BourneBourne Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    Ever think maybe she was making a comment that had little to do with race and a lot to do with personal/political preference? If you read the sentence above she does say... "Both schools are amazing institutions, and she will not have a "bad" time at either one. Diversity will be more or less the same at both, so your daughter should really listen to any gut reactions she had to the schools," which seems to be more indicative of her views about the racial relations in both schools. Not an obviously biased political anecdote.

Don't be so sensitive.
  • lavendercloudlavendercloud Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    If you're wondering about Latino/Latina culture at Amherst, here's what I know about it:

There are separate houses for Spanish language (Newport, which also houses French students) and Latin culture (La Casa, on the 3rd floor of Moore). Both require applications. I am a white student who will be living in La Casa next year.

La Causa is an organization that plans Latin-related social events. I'm not involved with it, so I don't know what else they do.

There's also a student organization that raises money for education in Peru; I tutor in Holyoke through Girls Inc., mostly with Latina elementary school girls; swing and salsa dancing classes that some Latino/as are involved in; and the 5 Colleges have many, many other cultural events.

Finally, there are lots of international students from Latin countries and students whose families are immigrants from Mexico.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    There is also an organization that goes to the Dominican Republic and helps the poor there.
  • Dad2Dad2 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    In terms of ethnic, cultural and gender diversity, understand that Swarthmore was founded (and is still philosophically steeped) in the Quaker tradition of equality. E.g. Unlike Amherst, which only started accepting women in the 1970's, Swarthmore has been co-educational since its founding in 1864.
  • lmpwlmpw Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    Dad2, although this is true, Amherst is thoroughly integrated by gender as well as race, nationality, etc. Someone visited lately and said it was like the UN. This is a completely integrated campus and not one where you see token numbers of minority students. Amherst is actually the leader in diverstiy in higher education in the country.
2»
This discussion has been closed.