right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Help, please!

pineapplelolliepineapplelollie 369 replies58 threads Member
edited December 2008 in Amherst College
So, for my essay, I'm doing it on the literature quote.

Since these are all statements, really, aren't all our responses going to be an analysis or interpretation (of the quote but how it also relates to us too) almost?

I'm writing about my love for reading for just about anything-not just English books either and about how I've never really thought about why I read and so, in the essay I'm just going to explain it through and talk about my purpose in reading.

Sorry if I'm not so eloquent in my description. But any advice would be appreciated.
edited December 2008
2 replies
Post edited by pineapplelollie on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Help, please!

• areagrisareagris 56 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I wrote on the literature one also and my approach was to use the quote as inspiration. I read it a few times and went from there. In my opinion, this quote in particular wasn't particularly cryptic, so I thought about it within the context of myself and my life (which it sounds like you're doing also). I think this is a good (though not only) way to approach the essay. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • ami_robyami_roby 15 replies4 threads New Member
    You need not base your essay on the statement, this is not like an essay you write for a literature class in college or high school. In my experience, they care less about your interpretation of the essay, and more about what the essay says about you. It is better if the supplementary essay is somehow thematically related to your commonapp essay. The main thing is to create a unique image of YOURSELF, and all the application parts are just tools for that purpose. Yes there should be some links to the original statement, but it's more about telling the admission guys about yourself. Again, try to create some sort of image, you do not have to be Superman, but just show that you have some qualities, and elaborate on those. Worked for me.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity