My little sister is transferring to Amherst this fall and I just have a few questions that can probably be best answered by students (or parents of students).
1) What is the dorm situation for transfers? Will she be put in with freshman? Will she have her choice of dorms? Which are the nicest dorms?
2) While she is tolerant of people who do, she doesn't like to smoke or drink. I've heard that Amherst has dorms that don't allow alcohol. A) Is there a negative stigma associated with living in these dorms (ie nerdy)?
Which are the nicest of these dorms?
3) What is the fastest route to get to Amherst by air? I'm not concerned with the most convenient or the lowest price. If I had to get to Amherst ASAP and price was not an issue, what is the best (fastest) way? (I'm on the west coast)
4) Do most students have and/or need a car? We're debating whether or not to send her off with a car. Is the parking situation such that she wouldn't have to walk far from her car to her dorm?
5) Are there any cell phone providers that don't get good reception in and around Amherst?
Thanks for you help!