right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Essay Help

sonjanicky29sonjanicky29 101 replies7 threads Junior Member
edited December 2008 in Amherst College
I just got done reworking my Amherst Essay and its about 100 words over give or take. Can someone read it and tell me what they think?

Thanks,
Sonja
edited December 2008
6 replies
Post edited by sonjanicky29 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Essay Help

• areagrisareagris 56 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I'd be willing to give it a read. My essay was over by almost 200 words, so I wouldn't sweat it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Seachai86442Seachai86442 - 772 replies123 threads Member
    When you apply to Amherst, do you have to write what prospective diversity can you bring towards the school or do you have to write a *creative* personal essay based on your major? Or do you have to write something you had with your family?: Ex: Tragedies ?
    · Reply · Share
  • ModadunnModadunn 6178 replies85 threads Senior Member
    I don't think any admissions wants to read straight up tragedy. Seriously. There has got to be an upside.

However, Amherst admissions has very unique essay prompts. Check out their website to see what they were for this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • MisterAMisterA 31 replies10 threads Junior Member
    So, does anyone know how far over the word limit we can go?
    · Reply · Share
  • blinkangel44blinkangel44 1033 replies126 threads Senior Member
    ^I'm wondering this too. I'm at 586 right now (575 if I remove the quote that I'm responding to). Dan, the admissions official on the Tufts board, says that on the Tufts supp you can go over since they're not counting the words, just don't make it noticeable. But this is Amherst, so I'm really not sure!
    · Reply · Share
  • hellogoodbye5015hellogoodbye5015 112 replies18 threads Junior Member
    I already sent mine.. it was 588... i couldn't cut it down anymore so I just left it at that.. i think anything below 600 should be fine.. i don't think you should keep it longer than that unless you feel the essence of your essay will be lost if you cut out more
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity