Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Essay Help

sonjanicky29sonjanicky29 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
edited December 2008 in Amherst College
I just got done reworking my Amherst Essay and its about 100 words over give or take. Can someone read it and tell me what they think?

Thanks,
Sonja
Post edited by sonjanicky29 on

Replies to: Essay Help

• areagrisareagris Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I'd be willing to give it a read. My essay was over by almost 200 words, so I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Seachai86442Seachai86442 - Posts: 895 Member
    When you apply to Amherst, do you have to write what prospective diversity can you bring towards the school or do you have to write a *creative* personal essay based on your major? Or do you have to write something you had with your family?: Ex: Tragedies ?
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    I don't think any admissions wants to read straight up tragedy. Seriously. There has got to be an upside.

However, Amherst admissions has very unique essay prompts. Check out their website to see what they were for this year.
  • MisterAMisterA Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    So, does anyone know how far over the word limit we can go?
  • blinkangel44blinkangel44 Registered User Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    ^I'm wondering this too. I'm at 586 right now (575 if I remove the quote that I'm responding to). Dan, the admissions official on the Tufts board, says that on the Tufts supp you can go over since they're not counting the words, just don't make it noticeable. But this is Amherst, so I'm really not sure!
  • hellogoodbye5015hellogoodbye5015 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    I already sent mine.. it was 588... i couldn't cut it down anymore so I just left it at that.. i think anything below 600 should be fine.. i don't think you should keep it longer than that unless you feel the essence of your essay will be lost if you cut out more
This discussion has been closed.