Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Early Writes/ED II

ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
edited January 2009 in Amherst College
I know Amherst doesn't have ED II, but I was looking through some really old threads (2006/2007) that referred to Early Writes as a form of early acceptance. Does anyone know much about this and does Amherst still do this?
Post edited by Modadunn on

Replies to: Early Writes/ED II

• MidwesternDadMidwesternDad Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I don't know about Amherst, but my understanding is that Williams will send an early acceptance to select candidates. Their web site states at http://www.williams.edu/admission/apply_procedures.php:

"In Februrary and March, a small number of Regular Admission candidates with superior qualifications receive early notification of acceptance. No special application is required and no response is expected of Early Write candidates until May 1."
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    While that link didn't work for me, I did a search on the Williams website to find that exact information. Did the same on Amherst's and I had no hits. Still one might ASSUME they do similar things.
  • areagrisareagris Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    If you look at old threads or Google, "Amherst early write," you'll find that in previous years the Early Write policy has been active. It is used to bring Amherst to the front of an applicant's mind (i.e. give AC a bit of a bump). The letters are sent to applicants who the college fears might go elsewhere.
  • sptchsptch Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    DD is now a senior, and she received an Early Write. Yes, they do have them and use them for a select few.
    Right.. the older threads I read seemed to include a number of international and/or perhaps urm that had attended a diversity weekend or something like that. I think it works great especially if you don't have EDII, it kind of works as a late early action -- to the degree that's possible.
  • jrparjrpar Registered User Posts: 2,134 Senior Member
    Both Williams and Amherst use "early write" acceptances for very highly qualified (often very high stats) applicants that they really want. Neither school issues a large number of early writes. Students getting early writes are likely to ultimately receive acceptances from a number of highly selective institutions, and W and A hope to bump their chances of yielding these exceptional applicants by getting an early acceptance in front of them.
    D did not attend Diversity Weekend, nor had she ever visited, nor is she a URM. She received the EW, I believe for the reasons jrpar mentioned. This was followed by a phone call from someone in the administration or department chair - in D's case, it was Dr. Marx.
    sptch.. did d accept?
    She is a senior there now.
This discussion has been closed.