Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I really hate myself right now.

Replies to: I really hate myself right now.

• Anonymous315Anonymous315 Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    " You think Amherst is easy for people who can write well? " Can you elaborate details on that? I'm interested to here more from you about that question.

Whether you're a writer, science nerd, history buff, or math nerd (none of these intended to cause offense), Amherst is going to be hard. It's open curriculum, meaning that science nerd doesn't need to care about Poetry in the Eighteenth Century, and that writer won't have to take Organic Chemistry. The open curriculum really makes it easier for people to study whatever they want, and a school like Amherst is going to present challenges for everyone.
  • Seachai86442Seachai86442 - Posts: 895 Member
    The only thing that I would care is as long as I am able to graduate ON TIME. You think Amherst is the only exceptional school out that provides a challenge for students in each open curriculums? Alot of good private universities are like that. Rice..Princeton..Dartmouth.. no matter what it is, no matter where an individual goes, there will always be a challenge. So putting Amherst as the exceptional school with challenge is a biased material to point out. Don't forget, I LIKE challenges! Instead of being piled with regular courses in high school now, I wish I had took harder courses
    before.

Another question.. isn't it much better when you don't have to take General Edu. courses in College?

Second, I apoligize once again if I have asked this question before, but I'm going to do it ONE MORE TIME -- If I have not showed my good enough rigorous academics in my freshmen and soph yr in high school (because I was immature), how will I compensate something to impress the Amherst adcoms with a bigger improvement (showing that if I transfer over there, I will still be able to do well?).

Does getting college credits earlier over the Summer help boost your record? I don't want schools to judge me by my past anymore. I'm changing my attitude all the way now.
    I feel really regretful and stuck at the moment. I have nightmares about colleges almost all night now. I screwed myself up. Amherst College's reputation can actually suit my own person very well, but I DONT HAVE THE RIGOURITY TO EVEN GET INTO ANY SCHOOLS NOW!
  • es foures four Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    What about Amherst's reputation suits your person so well?
    Sorry, you're confusing me.
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Ugh! I think I've concluded that there is a deeper reason why seachai hopes to major in psychology. I've also concluded that every question asked was answered. That the answers were not satisfactory or acceptable to the OP seems irrelevant at this point. Not sure there is any answer that would prove acceptable except for it matters little what classes you take in hs and it all comes down to how hard you wanted to work but perhaps came up short. All you have to do is explain how unfair life was and a letter of acceptance is sure to come your way.

Sarcastic? yes. But seriously any other answer has been met with rejection.
  • BB012BB012 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    Come up with a solution for the Financial Crisis in the next few months; that will compensate for everything.
    ^^ If you come up with that they'll be banging on the door and you can forget about tuition, they'll be paying you to come! ^^^
  • phil harmonicphil harmonic Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Seachai...after reading these posts I am not sure if you seem to have questions about getting into Amherst, or being able to handle the academics if you are accepted. I don't know enough about you (even from these posts) to predict anything regarding your chances. But I would seriously look at how difficult it is for the brightest and the best to get into Amherst (and I am in no way saying you are neither). I would strongly suggest you do four things:

1. Talk to your parents and tell them about your plans and have them do some research on Amherst and other colleges.

2. You and your parents should spend some quality time talking to your guidance counselor and teachers and get a feel from them whether or not Amherst might be a possibility.

3. Contact someone at Amherst (admissions, 3rd or 4th year student, faculty) and tell them where you are in high school with respect to grades, extra-curriculars, etc and see if they believe you have a legit chance.

4. Look at a video that was produces by PBS a few years ago. It is called
    The Merrow Report- The Best an the Brightest on the NewsHour. This is a great piece that looks at the admissions process at Amherst and the factors that go into selecting high school students. You can link to it: The Merrow Report- The Best and the Brightest on The NewsHour

If you follow these steps you will know if you have a realistic shot at Amherst and whether Amherst is the right choice for you.
    I watched that Merrow Report again....

So this was in 2004 for last spring's graduating class. I did a little search on Rubin Harris who turned down Amherst for Yale. He was on the roster at Yale for his freshman year and at no time after that. One wonders if he got in on his athletic prowess and stayed due to academic success or if he ever graduated.

Also, back in 2004 there were 5400 (actually 5489 according to common data set) applications and all but a little more than a 1000 of them had already found themselves in the rejection pile before the admissions committee even sat down all together in March!

Let's extrapolate that, shall we? For 2007 there were 6680 applications. They allowed 1462 on the waiting list and 574 accepted. Zero were ultimately admitted. With similar numbers for the year prior in terms of wait list, only 2 were ultimately admitted.

All I can ask is.. if they know that over 3000 kids are not even under consideration, doesn't it seem fair that some rejection letter could come a long time before it ultimately does? Then again, if your best friend was rejected at the beginning of March and you were still in the pile - but later rejected - you'd be going on a lot of false hope and too, the admissions office would again be full of mail extolling the virtues of every candidate remaining!
    SEE GUYS, I JUST RECIEVED ANOTHER UNFAIR REPORT. MY HISTORY TEACHER IS GIVING ME EITHER AN 85 OR 88 AFTER ALL THE IMPROVEMENT IVE MADE. I EXPECTED TO GET AN A ON THE FINAL AND IM NOT EVEN CLOSE TO GETTING AN 88 AVG FOR THE 3RD MP PROBABLY. This is such a disrespect to my own reputation. Kill myself now, why did i get that 85 in history? Big improvement, but not enough! I should've done my work in high school and not have been that immature.

EVERY 85s I GOT WILL ALWAYS COME BACK TO HAUNT ME EVERY NIGHT I GO TO SLEEP!
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Registered User Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    I think admissions is already enough of a psychodrama for students. If there were staggered announcements, like first-round cuts or something of that nature, it would heighten it all the more. It would perhaps falsely raise hopes for those that make the first cut, and for those that don't it could send them into unwarranted despair over the other college applications they have in and are still waiting to hear about.

It's probably better to keep it simple with all letters going out at the same time.

It is a difficult period of waiting for many students though. My best wishes go out to all of them, and all the parents too. (My daughter is in it too right now, waiting to hear back on a transfer application she has in -- not to Amherst, but waiting is waiting.)
    BB012 and Mudadunn, what do you mean by "financial crisis" ?
    P.S: It'S NOT LIKE I WASN'T TRYING AT ALL. I WAS AIMING FOR THE HIGHEST GRADE AS POSSIBLE AND IM SHOCKED TO HEAR MY HISTORY AVG IS SOMEWHERE IN THE MID-HIGH 80s.

THIS IS SO UNFAIR. I FOUND A SCHOOL THAT WOULD FIT ME WELL BUT I HATE MYSELF AT THIS POINT BECAUSE I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT MY OVERALL AVG IS GOING TO BE!
    It's affecting my life now. I would've had a 94 by now!! IM TRYING TO CHANGE MY ATTITUDE HERE AND SHOW IMPROVEMENTS. IM NOT GONNA GET A 90 in U.S HIS. THIS SEMESTER BUT I WILL WORK FOR A 94 NEXT SEMESTER!!!!
This discussion has been closed.