Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deferral--Help or Obstacle?

goalie1006goalie1006 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited March 2009 in Amherst College
I was deferred by Amherst ED and so I am now applying RD. Amherst remains my #1 and I sent a package reaffirming this as well as an additional peer recommendation.

My question is when Amherst looks at my application RD, will they see that I was deferred ED, and if so, will that help or hurt my chances of acceptance? (Keeping in mind the package will reaffirm that they are my #1.)

Thanks!
Post edited by goalie1006 on

Replies to: Deferral--Help or Obstacle?

• kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    When I was waitlisted, I sent a "package" too--with a letter conveying the same sentiments as yours, a copy of my second trimester grades (with significant improvements), and a copy of a Summa certificate for the National Latin Exam.

Things worked out very well for me.

If you were deferred, that means that the committee received you in a favorable light, and considered you strong enough for admission, but couldn't offer you a seat due to the 30 percent quota placed on ED.

You've still got a month til decisions come out. I checked out your other thread, and you're statistically exceptional. You should stay confident: don't worry.
  • Tromboneplayer91Tromboneplayer91 Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    I didn't realize that Amherst chose to reject some students early action. I do know, though, that last year (or two years ago possibly, I'm not sure sorry) 30% of those students deferred early were later accepted. That is a substantially higher number than the average student's RD rate.
  • Tromboneplayer91Tromboneplayer91 Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Although the information in my last post did come from an Amherst brochure, it was, apparently, wrong. Either that or it does not apply this year. Anyway, it turns out that this year, about 6-7% of applicants who were deferred early will be accepted in the end according to The Amherst Student | News | College Admits 31 Percent of Early . This is rather unfortunate for us I guess, although I'm sure you have a much better chance than I do.
This discussion has been closed.