Hey! I'm currently a junior and really interested in applying to Amherst next year. I'm just hoping to get some idea of where I stand admissions wise. Kindly chance me, and give your opinion of whether Amherst is a match, high match, reach, or whatever other ranking you want to give! Thank you!
I'm going to post this same post on some other forums, so if you see me cross-posting, don't be surprised!
Female, not URM or first-generation
Competitive public high school (So. CA)
Junior year abroad in France (well-respected and competitive program)
Will probably be applying RD to all schools to compare FA packages
GPA W: 4.15
GPA UW: 3.7
Taken all honors possible each year
School doesn't rank, probably in at least the top 20%, but not sure
My graduating class is around 990 students
I've taking one class at my local CC, a full credit Beginning German course. I earned an A. I'm hoping to take Creative Writing, Philosophy, or a history course this summer there as well.
Projected Senior Year:
AP Calculus AB, AP US History, AP Government (Comparative), Economics, Chemistry, Women's Literature, AP Art History, Advanced French Conversation and Intro To Physics(?) at local CC. (Due to my year abroad, I will only have two years of lab science if I don't take physics either this summer or in the fall. However, I'm planning to take it if possible.)
SAT - 2140 (one sitting)
CR - 730
M - 670
W - 740 (10 on essay)
Subject test to be taken in May/June: Literature, Math 2, French
AP tests to be taken in May: French Language, English Literature(?)
- Le Grand Concours French Contest - 5th in CA / 6th in the nation
- National Honor Society
- California Scholarship Federation
- French Honor Society
- Haha, random but cool...pending Guinness World Record for largest collection of panda items
- Speech & Debate - since sophomore year, various speech events and Parliamentary Debate (in which I have trophied)
- Volunteer at local hospital - two hours a week, around 50 hours earned so far, probably around 100 or more hours by application time
- Writing Editor for yearbook - junior year
- School newspaper staff - junior year
- Horseback riding - two hours a week for over two years, have also attended horseback riding camp
- Applying for a job as a counselor at a day camp this summer
Passion / Study Abroad:
My passion is the French language and culture, well-expressed in my application through my year abroad in France this year. I am with a well-respected program that places Americans in host families and a French-speaking school. All of my classes are in French with the exception of English and Math, and am performing well with an upward trend. I'm hoping that my international experience will set me apart from other applicants.
I plan to integrate my passion for France, language, and writing into my essay, which should be excellent since I am a good writer.
I will also most likely visit this summer.
Chance me please? Am I on the right track to be accepted to Amherst?