Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please chance me!

CygneCygne Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
edited March 2009 in Amherst College
Hello,
I applied RD to all of my colleges, so right now I'm in the excruciating "waiting period"; perhaps a little speculation will make me feel better... At any rate, here are my stats:

4.0 GPA (UW)
2340 SAT (800 CR, 790 Math, 750 Writing)
35-36 ACT (two different tests--I sent both b/c my essay score on the 36 was terrible)
2 APs, both this year (I only had the opportunity to take one more)
5-6 honors courses, depending on what they count (once again, only had the opportunity to take one more)
National Merit Finalist

Extracurriculars:
Ballet (last 5 years)
Environmental Club: treasurer sophomore year; raised money to go on service trip to Mexico last year--worked with sea turtle conservation biologists
International Club: treasurer last year; went to Model UN last spring & am going to Model UN again this year
Human Rights Club: member since last year; this year president
City Human Rights Commission: first high school student appointed to a city commission (last spring); currently secretary
National Honor Society member

So, what do you think? Do I have a shot at Amherst?
Post edited by Cygne on

Replies to: Please chance me!

• ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Your stats are terrific. You EC's seem right in line. How were your essays? They will be the final arbiter. I would say if your essays are good, you have a good chance, especially if you are truly from the middle of nowhere and help in the diversity category (can be geographic). Good luck!
  • CygneCygne Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    I think that my essays were pretty solid (I actually worked extensively on one of them in my English class), but I couldn't say for sure. Oh, and my "middle of nowhere" is northern Idaho ;). Thanks for the response!
  • keek_a_leekkeek_a_leek Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    your stats fit right in. I agree with the poster above, if you have even decent letters of rec/essays I am sure you are in.
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Yes stats and ec's are great.. but I would look at this and think.. what sets you apart from every other perfect GPA candidate?
  • kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    Essays will make or break you at every school you apply to, since grades and SATs are no longer a concern.
  • CygneCygne Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    Well, I guess it may come down to that extra "something" that every school is looking for...Hopefully they'll find that in my essays and recs. Not much longer to wait now! :)
  • Emily814Emily814 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 26 New Member
    i think you have a good shot. your stats are fabulous, your ECs are decent, and i think being from Idaho will help a lot. It all comes down to your essays, especially since amherst doesn't offer interviews. good luck!
This discussion has been closed.