Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please Chance Me

skibroskibro Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited September 2009 in Amherst College
Hi, I'm from the northeast and I'm really interested in Amherst. Could you please chance me for early decision and regular decision? Here are some stats:

GPA: 3.7 unweighted

SAT I: 700 CR 740 M 680 W (I am retaking again so they might improve)
SAT II: 720 US History 760 Chemistry (I am taking the math II, will probably be in the 700-750 range)
AP Scores: 5 AP US History 5 AP Chemistry

Course work:

Junior Year
AP Chemistry
AP US History
Honors American Literature
Honors Precalculus
Honors Spanish 4

Senior Year
AP Economics
AP Calculus AB
AP Law and Government
AP English Literature
Honors Physics

With the exception of Physics and Calculus this year, I am taking the hardest courses available at my school (there's AP Physics and AP Calc BC, but I'm avoiding AP Physics because it's taught by a horrible teacher and I thought BC would be over the top)

EC's:

Eagle Scout
Leader of independent study course at school (we're building and updating an electric-hydrogen fuel cell hybrid vehicle)
Member of the Free Thinkers Club (intellectual debate, etc.)
Member of BuildOn Club (aka Building with Books, charity organization)
Member of Ski and Snowboard Club

Personal stuff that might/will affect admission:

Caucasian Male
No financial aid needed
I'm a big traveler (have been to 6 continents)
Outdoorsy (have skied literally everywhere, am an Eagle Scout)

Thanks a lot, this means a lot to me, and I'll be willing to chance you back!
Post edited by skibro on

Replies to: Please Chance Me

• bhobho Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Chancing is obviously only mere speculation: People with worse stats than yours will be accepted; people with stats better than yours will be denied.

However, you definitely have a good shot at getting accepted. Purely based on a quantitative assessment, your stats are within play, not to mention your EC's and course rigor are great as well. Be certain to write compelling essays, get top-notch letters of recommendation, and you'll be in a good position for Amherst, or many other top colleges and universities.
  • HorseRadishHorseRadish - Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Ditto with bho.

Remain steadfast and apply to schools nationwide. Consider Pomona, Harvey Mudd, and other schools.

Chancing is often a haphazard exercise in that it does not often reflect potentialities. Merely underscoring standard competing scores and achievements often disregards admissions criteria in creating their class of students.

Think outside the box.

We have a nation of great academic institutions.

Wish you the best and cheers!
This discussion has been closed.