Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances anyone?

slatewaterslatewater Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Amherst College

School: Very competitive private schools in NYC

GPA: no GPA

Senior Year Grades - First Semester:
French (post-AP class...an elective): A-
ILS (mandatory senior course): A
Major British Novels: A-
Calculus AB: B+
AP Physics B: B- : This grade is my main concern with Amherst...will it have much of an effect?

SAT: 2170, 2130, superscore: 2240

SAT 2:
- French language: 760
- French Lit: 780
- just took the Literature

AP:
- French Literature : 5
- French Language: 5
- Biology: 4
- taking Calculus AB and Physics B in spring

Summer Activities: summer of 2009
- working at the UN writing papers/editing/translating into french for an organization: Global Action on Aging
- Art class at Colombia University

summer of 2008:
- volunteering at two different hospitals in the city - spent time in the Peds ER and the Adult ER and on a General Medicine Floor

Interests:
- Art: painting/drawing/sculpture/digital/photograhpy: i have done almost every type of art making there is, but i specialize in drawing and painting. I have been doing so basically since i was born and have been commissioned several times to make paintings for people - sent a portfolio for evaluation
- Piano: been playing the piano since i was 4. Followed the Royal Conservatory of Music curriculum, which was just introduced in NYC this year, so im one of the few kids in the city doing it. I am in grade 9, which means i will be able to teach next year! I've gotten tons of awards/certificates from playing in concerts - send a music CD for evaluation
- I am the editor of a nationally ranked art and literary magazine at my school
- Tutoring: have been tutoring a 10th grader at my school in math
- Sports: JV Tennis, V Cross Country, V Track

Random: I have lived in Canada for 10 years, London for 3 years, Japan for 2 years and New York City for 2 years.

Recs: I have fantastic recs, one from my french teacher who told me she "got someone into Yale"

Essays: common app should be good, as should the supplement

Extra: I got deferred from Brown ED, if that is any sort of indication of where I stand.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REVIEW THIS!
Post edited by slatewater on

Replies to: Chances anyone?

• kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    How do you have grades if you have "no GPA?"

Do you mean that your school refuses to assign numeric values to the letter grades that are assigned?

Your grades are fine, but if you're anxious about how Bs will affect you, you could take Subject Tests for those areas in which you scored "mediocre-ly." An 800 in Physics would completely offset that B-, demonstrate that you know Physics and know it well, and also add variety to what you have right now--French and French w/Listening.

Amherst is fond of musicians. Good luck.
  • slatewaterslatewater Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Well, essentially, yes. Since my school is already really competitive and since the kinds in my grade are all very close grade-wise, they choose not to pit us one against the other any more.

Thank you
  • slatewaterslatewater Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    bump 10 chars?
This discussion has been closed.