Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

chances of being accepted

drewzz23drewzz23 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited August 2010 in Amherst College
Hello I am about to be a high school senior, and am very interested in Amherst. I guess I'll just do the cliche thing and list some of my information, and if anyone has suggestions on applying it would be awesome. Thanks!!

GPA: 4.59 weighted, 4.00 unweighted. class rank 3 of about 450, suburban public school

Sr. year schedule: AP British Literature and Composition, AP Government and Politics, AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, Honors French 5

SAT: 2360 (790/780/790), Subject tests 800 US History, 780 Chemistry, 770 Math II
ACT: 34
About to find out of I'm a nat'l merit semifinalist.

EC's: 4 year member of school orchestra (violin), concertmaster 10th and 11th grade, maybe also CM this year but will be doing it just as EC rather than a class due to scheduling conflict
4 year member of school Chamber orchestra, concertmaster 11th grade and probably 12th
3 (about to be 4) year member of regional youth orchestra
3 (and hopefully 4) year member of All-State orchestra
4 years of private violin lessons via local college's outreach program

Parliamentarian of NHS, 2 year member
3-year Key club (community service) member

Captain of Academic Team (Vice President last year)
Founding member of school's Academic Decathlon Team

1-year member of Science Olympiad

1-year member of French Club

In addition to blood drives, Relay For Life etc., over 160 combined hours of work at summer school office the last 2 years

4 years attending weekly religious education and participating in more volunteer events through that.

Yeah, thats about it. I'm planning on yale early action just to see if it's my lucky day, and others. but unless a yale miracle happens, Amherst is my first choice. If I get in.....
Post edited by drewzz23 on

Replies to: chances of being accepted

• elbeeenelbeeen Registered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    You look like an exceptional candidate! Best of luck with Yale/Amherst.
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    You sound a lot like my DD who graduated a couple years ago. No orchestra or band, but other EC's and Decathlon and Ac Challenge, too. Basically same SAT results. Rejected Yale - hope you have more luck there. She LOVED Amherst. Make sure your essays say a LOT about who you are. They are VERY important! Good luck - you have a good chance, just mjake sure the essays are personal to you.
  • spiritualwitchspiritualwitch Registered User Posts: 701 Member
    Your stats are better than mine in terms of SAT and ACT as well as ECs. I was accepted so you probably have a good chance if the essays and recs are good.
  • miss_murd3rmiss_murd3r Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    Are you a URM?

I'd agree with ejr1 in respects to the essays. Amherst really cares a lot about essays, so make sure they speak a great deal to the person you are.

The grades and SAT scores are there, just focus on the essays!
This discussion has been closed.