Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Ranking Game (Plus/Minus)

Replies to: AP Ranking Game (Plus/Minus)

• GravitonGraviton Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Heh. I just think it might be a bit more representative of popular opinion if we were to limit posts. Regardless, this isn't of any grand importance. I just want my scores. Grr.
  • iluvpianoiluvpiano Registered User Posts: 2,033 Senior Member
    Yeah, a lot of us posted more than once per day, me included! If we ever redo this, we should set firm rules and stick to them so that the rankings come out more fair, hopefully.
  • TQSMNTASPTQSMNTASP Registered User Posts: 324 Junior Member
    Very Interesting thread...LOL to Calculus AB as the easiest AP: 90%+ of the general AP student population would tend to disagree with that, but alas, a typical CC result.

The only definitive thing I think we can take out of this is that those who played this game had a strong adversity to foreign cultures...most of the foriegn "language and cultures" were deemed most difficult, and of course, European History...
  • garfieldlikergarfieldliker Registered User Posts: 1,992 Senior Member
    ^That's probably because most foreign languages are not taken(German, Italian), so they remained around 10 until the end, when there weren't any other exams left.
  • TQSMNTASPTQSMNTASP Registered User Posts: 324 Junior Member
    Yeah I was just joking lol...it would be interesting to compare this list against an "objective list" based on percentage of 5's.
    Well, I think that means that Chinese is the easiest test, since over 70% of testtakers get 5's.
  • 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Chinese is wayyyy overrated in the list. It's really easy. It's like 5th grade stuff in Asia.
    Yeah, it's easy for NATIVE speakers...the test is designed for non-native speakers though, obviously, most testtakers are.
  • JalmorenoJalmoreno Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    1. Latin: Vergil (Finishes with 9 points)
    2. Spanish Literature
    3. German Language
    4. Spanish Language
    5. French Language
    6. Chinese Language and Culture
    7. English Literature
    8. Microeconomics
    9. European History
    10. Chemistry
    11. Art History
    12. Calculus BC
    13. Physics C
    14. U.S. History
    15. Comparative Government and Politics
    16. Japanese Language and Culture
    17. Macroeconomics
    18. US Government and Politics
    19. Italian
    20. Music Theory
    21. Studio Art
    22. Physics B
    23. Computer Science
    24. English Language
    25. World History
    26. Human Geography
    27. Biology
    28. Statistics
    29. Environmental Science
    30. Psychology
    31. Calculus AB

Personal Issues:
    Calc AB the easiest . . . really? I wouldn;t call it a hard one, but a lot of people are not gifted at math and do horribly on this.
    Bio among the easier ones? I never took it, but the shear amount of information required is rather intimidating.
    US Gov't not being after English Lang? I thought that it was an easy AP test, definitely easier than AP Physics B.
    US History seems too low on the list, and was beat by AP Euro. This is a complete reversal in my school, Euro is held as one of the easiest and US as one of the hardest.
    English Lit is way too high on this list. I mean, it may be difficult to get a 5, but it is definitely an easy AP test to pass, nearly the same as English Lang.

I approve of languages being high up there. It's so hard to gain competency as a non-native. My AP Spanish teacher told me that the AP test is harder than the test to qualify to teach Spanish in Florida.
  • PancakedPancaked Registered User Posts: 3,355 Senior Member
    This should be interesting. I ranked each exam by mean AP score (1 being lowest average AP score, 30 being highest average AP score) based on 2010 results. Ranks are in parenthesis after each exam.

For languages, I used the standard group, as it doesn't really make sense to compare difficulty while including native speakers who pull up the scores.

HARDEST
    1. Latin: Vergil (23)
    2. Spanish Literature (13)
    3. German Language (10)
    4. Spanish Language (9)
    5. French Language (1)
    6. Chinese Language and Culture (29)
    7. English Literature (14)
    8. Microeconomics (21)
    9. European History (16)
    10. Chemistry (8)
    11. Art History (18)
    12. Calculus BC (30)
    13. Physics C (28)
    14. U.S. History (7)
    15. Comparative Government and Politics (20)
    16. Japanese Language and Culture (22)
    17. Macroeconomics (12)
    18. US Government and Politics (6)
    19. Italian (2 - tied)
    20. Music Theory (24)
    21. Studio Art (27)
    22. Physics B (17)
    23. Computer Science (26)
    24. English Language (19)
    25. World History (3)
    26. Human Geography (2 - tied)
    27. Biology (5)
    28. Statistics (15)
    29. Environmental Science (4)
    30. Psychology (25)
    31. Calculus AB (11)

Interestingly enough, it appears some of the exams considered hardest have the highest scores, and some of the exams considered easiest have the lowest scores.
    LOL, yeah, I was warned that Human Geo was the test with the 2nd worst scores.
  • Shaggy007Shaggy007 Registered User Posts: 851 Member
    These rankings are horrible lol. AP Biology near the bottom?
    Biology is pretty easy...
  • TheRealFakeTheRealFake Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Nice data!

Tests that CCers consider to be easy like Human Geo or Enviro have low scores because they're either freshman or slacker classes. Lots of students take them, and don't take them seriously because they have never taken APs or don't care.

Of course, many hard tests have high average scores because higher percentages of smart/prepared people take them, boosting the average score. It's sort of like with SAT II Bio E/M, where M is harder but has higher scores because people who prepare for M typically are better prepared overall.
  • GreedIsGoodGreedIsGood Registered User Posts: 2,039 Senior Member
    Yeah look at Physics C... and compare it to Statistics. Obviously Physics C is way harder, but there are more %age of 5s because the kids taking Physics C are powertools, whereas those taking Stats are slackers (sorry for the generalizations).
This discussion has been closed.