right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Official FLVS AP Thread

Replies to: Official FLVS AP Thread

• pinklinkspinklinks 217 replies10 threads Junior Member
    @ObitoSigma How many assignments total? Does the course have a lot of busy work?
    · Reply · Share
  • MoMo-MochiMoMo-Mochi 2 replies1 threads New Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello everyone! :)

I've been reading this post because I was trying to make a decision as to which AP course I will enroll in on FLVS this upcoming year. Whilst reading through the comments, I've noticed that quite a few students commented questions about AP Psychology. As a person who has experienced the rigor of that course last year, I'll be happy to share my experience regarding the lessons, workload, teachers, etc. offered in the AP Psychology course on FLVS!

Fortunately for everyone, the actual course itself (content-wise) is not difficult. I received a very high A in both segments of AP Psychology. What is very interesting about psychology is the fact that it is extremely relatable to your every day life (which makes the course easier than others). A lot of science-scorning students at my school loved every aspect of psychology.

There is a total of 11 Modules. Modules 1-10 consist of lessons that teach you the material you must be proficient in to ace the exam, and Module 11 is a basic review of every module. The number of assignments are over 100, but most are able to be completed in minimal time. Quizzes usually consist of 5-10 questions, practice FRQs take around 30-45 minutes, and experiments are usually short as well!

The only time-consuming portions of this course are the journals and the exams. For the journals, you must define and create your own definitions for every single term. Now this may not seem as time-consuming as it sounds, but if you're defining 150 terms, it would certainly require lots of time. As tedious and lengthy journals sound, they are CRUCIAL. Vocabulary is an necessity on the AP Psychology exam! You must know your terms like you know how to tie your shoes. Exams, on the other hand, are not necessarily hard; everything from the course content to the textbook is guaranteed to be on the exams. The only aspect about them that makes it time-consuming is the fact that there are 100 questions. If you're swift with exams or you're a psychology whiz, then this shouldn't be much of a problem. If you are a slow test taker, then devote 1.5-2 hours for exams.

AP Psychology teachers on FLVS are always able to be prompt and punctual with text messaging, emails, and phone calls. I had Ms. Jimmie Young and may I say that she was a phenomenal teacher! An other teacher that I also know of is Mrs. Wallis; she taught my live lessons. She was just as amazing as Ms. Young.

I hope you all find this comment to be helpful! Good luck to all of you! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    edited July 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • budlist84budlist84 2 replies1 threads New Member
    I wanted to share my experience with AP Psychology on FLVS. I found the first semester to be much more interesting! Since I took Psychology 1 on flvs, too, I didn't have to study as hard since I had
    some of the basic knowledge. Semester two didnmt start to become interesting until abnormal behavior and social psychology. I was a junior when I took the course. I was taking a full load at school and doing school activities. My teacher was very understanding with my schedule, so if I didn't turn something in, she wouldn't roast me. When I took the test, I was only on module 9 (there's 11). I still managed to make a 4 on the exam! I believe I could have made a 5 if I had finished the course, but I still passed! I'm actually glad I took this course because I did better than wuite a few kids who took it at my physical high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • batman0309batman0309 73 replies18 threads Junior Member
    Im bringing the thread back to life after a few months of no activity lol. But does anyone have current information on the following AP classes on FLVS:

AP Statistics
    AP Macroeconomics
    AP Microeconomics
    AP US Government and Politics
    AP Computer Science A
    possibly AP Psychology (still thinking about whether to take in online or at school).

My school offers minimal AP classes so my best resort would be FLVS, and I heard it's a great program for AP classes for specific classes. I am currently a sophomore, so these classes might have to all take place during my junior and senior year, and I will have dual enrollment along with these classes most likely. Perhaps anyone can let me know which are the "easier" classes on the list. Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • lhw1998lhw1998 423 replies60 threads Member
    I'm taking APCS on FLVS right now. As someone who might major in CS, this course is horrible. It's a huge waste of time - you learn tons of stuff that isn't on the AP. I had to take it, however, because my school doesn't offer APCS :(
    · Reply · Share
    Also, I took AP Psych and APUSH on flvs. APUSH was incredible - the teacher was great and I pulled off a 4 (but it was rather challenging). AP Psych was a waste of time - tons of busy work for a class you could self study in a matter of days. I got a 5, but only because I read the Barron's twice. I learned nothing from the course itself
    · Reply · Share
  • neptunaneptuna 429 replies21 threads Member
    @batman0309 AP Macro and AP Micro are great and I highly recommend them. They're easy but cover everything you need to know. I'm taking AP Statistics and while it's an easy class and pretty informative, the quizzes get kind of annoying because they're almost all FRQs. APCS, on the other hand, is complete and utter trash. Save yourself.
    · Reply · Share
  • Hidd3nBlad3sHidd3nBlad3s 26 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited January 2017
    @neptuna I've completed segment 1 and am starting segment 2. Should I continue with segment 2 or drop the course? I do agree with the course being trash. It's designed pretty badly.
    edited January 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • neptunaneptuna 429 replies21 threads Member
    @Hidd3nBlad3s I would continue just because you've already put a lot of work into it and it looks pretty bad to drop an AP course in the middle of the year. Just make sure to use other resources like Barron's to help you get through it. I'm in the same boat (I just finished segment 1), so I know how you feel.
    · Reply · Share
    @neptuna alright, thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • chacha500chacha500 2 replies2 threads New Member
    I will be a senior next year and I plan on taking some AP classes on FLVS. I am considering taking APCS ( i have no prior knowledge on programming whatsoever), APES, and Ap Macro and micro online but in school ill be taking AP calc ab and ap govt. I dont know if I want to take that many AP classes at once since i am a pretty big procrastinator. Which one should i NOT take or which is not worth my time? Also which of the flvs course is easiest? i definitely want to do well my senior year and pass the ap exams so i dont want to take an extremely demanding class.
    · Reply · Share
  • fredrechid00fredrechid00 7 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm planning on taking AP Comp Sci and AP Stats online next year. The more recent comments say that AP Comp Sci isn't a good course? What about Stats?
    · Reply · Share
    @fredrechid00 AP Stats on Flvs has about 130 assignments and is mostly quizzes.
    · Reply · Share
    @chacha500 I felt compelled to take a computer science course as I'm looking to become an engineer, but APCS on FLVS is a colossal waste of time. The instructions for assignments are unclear and the assignments themselves take forever. Don't take AP Comp Sci through Florida Virtual - I would just take their honors introductory programming course if I were you (assuming you have no prior java experience)
    · Reply · Share
    @lhw1998 This is so true.
    · Reply · Share
  • batman0309batman0309 73 replies18 threads Junior Member
    edited February 2017
    @Hidd3nBlad3s Should I take AP Stats? I want to take more AP classes, but they would all have to be on flvs because my school offers like nothing. I need one more math class, and I really do not want to take Pre-calc at school because I dont like the teacher. Or maybe I should dual enroll for the math class possibly?
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2017
    @batman0309 I've heard some good things about Flvs Ap stats. I'll actually be starting it next year as well and I think you should go for it. I'm also in the same situation as you. My school barely offers Ap's. You could also try and dual enroll for pre calc at a local college if you find learning in a classroom better than Flvs.
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • pikapikapiepikapikapie 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Wow, I'm surprised to see the recent disliking of AP CSA. This thread is actually what encouraged me to take it this year, and I thought it's living up to all its hype. As a person who had never programmed before taking this course, I think it's a super enjoyable and helpful class. The course isn't that high-tech or recently updated (compared to other FLVS courses at least), but it's super informative and I can't see myself getting anything less than a five after finishing the course. In my welcome call, my teacher even said that 80% of the students who take the course through FLVS get a four or five. While about 20% of assignments take more than an hour for me and are somewhat of a challenge, I'd say the other 80% are decent enough. I've never had any trouble understanding the assignment instructions, and there are help sites that the teachers have set up to guide you. If you've had programming experience before, I really don't see how you could have any trouble with this course. Overall, I'd personally highly recommend taking this class through FLVS.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucla9biggestabucla9biggestab 8 replies0 threads New Member
    This year I'm taking AP Art History and AP Human Geography with no period to work on it during school, and it's hard sometimes but not unmanageable. I made the mistake of procrastinating in both classes first segment, which you really can't afford to do in any FLVS class or you'll get stuck in a cycle you won't know how to get out of. AP Human Geography I started in mid July and AP Art History I started in late September and I had to finish the first semester of both by December 16th. AP Human Geography I stayed on pace mostly but got a little behind and my teacher put me on a plan where if I didn't submit 3 assignments by every monday morning, I would be removed from the class, so I did this and finished the class with a week to spare. I enjoyed this class for the most part. The assignments are generally easy and the concepts are super clear in the course material and easy to understand. The tests, FRQs, and DBQs are easy too. It's an interesting class and I definitely recommend it, the biggest downside though is that we have Geo Journals for nearly every lesson in every module that you're supposed to be doing gradually throughout the course but it's so insignificant until the end that you forget to do it all until the end and when it piles up on you it piles up really badly. AP Art History, on the other hand, is the most difficult class I've taken ever. I love the course material and I love reading about it, but the multiple choice questions are so subjective and worded so that it's near impossible to understand what exactly they want you to answer. The essays are hard too but if you can convolute your words and make something that doesn't actually mean anything but look like it does you can succeed. The assignments usually take me 2-3 hours each, but there are only 35 assignments per semester (including quizzes which only take me about 20 minutes and are easy and exams, so there aren't too many assignments.) My problem is that my teacher didn't ever care about me not staying on pace. I even went a month without turning anything in and all that happened is that I got a text from her asking if I was okay. So with one week left to finish the course, I had to do 59% of the class in one week (which, coincidentally was the week of semester exams in physical school). I did it, but it was the most traumatizing week of my life. But I finished in both classes with an A and am doing much better with pace this segment.

Next year, however, my school is only allowing us 6 periods - only 6 classes we can take. My plan was to take AP lit, AP bio, AP us gov/AP comp gov, AP psych, AP computer science principles, latin 4 honors, and improv 4 honors, taking AP macro online with FLVS and AP european online with GAVS (Georgia Virtual School), as my school doesn't offer AP euro and neither does FLVS. I'm considering taking AP lit online, as I'm a good writer and have already read a deal of the books on the reading list. But an english class online scares me, so if anyone has any recommendations and can give me an overview on their experience with AP lit on FLVS I would really, really appreciate that. (and maybe some opinions on whether I should take AP macro, micro, or both online if I'm bad at math.)
    · Reply · Share
  • Flugel365Flugel365 8 replies3 threads New Member
    Hey there, has anyone taken AP Lang through FLVS? I'm trying to choose between taking it at my school or online for my senior year. It would be helpful to get some insight about the workload, intensity, tediousness, helpfulness (in terms of AP exam prep), and if an A is achievable (I would rather keep my 4.0). Thank you guys in advance!
    · Reply · Share