Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Self Studying APs?

124»

Replies to: Self Studying APs?

• yankeefreak127yankeefreak127 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    From my experience, self studying can definitely help in two ways: number one, if your school doesn't offer the AP course and all you can take is the honors course equivalent; number two, you have a very specific interest in a certain specific subject area, and your school offers little to no courses in that very narrow area of study.

I self studied for AP Comparative Government for the latter reason because I am very interested in politics and ended up getting a five, so needless to say, if you're smart and do the reading and practice, you'll probably do well. I didn't even really study that much either, so while I don't suggest just cramming for twelve hours the day before, which is essentially what I did (although I had done all the reading before), you can still do well.

In terms of colleges, if you can take that course as an Independent Study, then not only will it be a GPA booster, but also it will make it look as if you have that course as part of your schedule. If you can't make it an Independent Study, then that's fine too, and again, if you're taking the honors equivalent, making the self study into an independent study would be pointless for obvious reasons. If you do remarkably well on the exam, getting as high as a five, which I somehow did with comp gov, then the admission officer will sort get a kind of, "hmm, that's interesting," when looking at your app, meaning that if they were choosing between you and another kid who was identical in credentials and rigor and they saw that you had this AP self study and the other kid didn't, they would choose you.

So overall, it won't make or break your application, but it could be a tiny boost if you do very well on the exam. My advice for you would be to go for the world history AP and make sure you study a ton. You seem like a smart kid who can succeed by putting your mind to the task, so I wish you the best of luck.
124»
This discussion has been closed.