right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Will taking hardly any AP's hurt my application?

TheValidityTheValidity 63 replies13 threads Junior Member
edited November 2011 in AP Tests Preparation
I come from a school with a generally stupid student population. My school offers NO AP's for juniors and only 2 for seniors. I know that colleges are supposed to look at what a student does with what they're given, but wouldn't a student with similar stats but 3 5's on AP exams be looked at favorably when compared to myself? If so, how can I make up for this hindrance?

(Will be applying to a few ivies and schools like northwestern, washu, etc)
Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using CC App
edited November 2011
6 replies
Post edited by TheValidity on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will taking hardly any AP's hurt my application?

• accipehocaccipehoc 119 replies5 threads Junior Member
    There are two basic benefits to AP Classes:
    1. A fast paced advanced curriculum
    2. College Credit

Here's how you can try to make up for the lack of them:
    1. Make sure you are taking the most rigorous courseload possible.
    2. Dual enrollment (taking classes at a nearby community college)

You can always self study AP's or take them online - there are thousands of threads on here about those options, so snoop around a bit and see what you can find.

Good Luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap 11539 replies251 threads Senior Member
    Not sure what you mean by "stupid", but admission often depends on the context of what is available at your high school, alongside the context of those you are competing with.

I think if you took 2 AP's and got 2 5's, you will look pretty good. If other applicants with only 2 AP's offered in HS also "self studied" or took classes at a local community college, they might look better.
    · Reply · Share
  • 609Represent609Represent - 1030 replies15 threads Senior Member
    yes 10 char
    · Reply · Share
  • bobtheboybobtheboy 2132 replies84 threads Senior Member
    If your school doesn't offer it, but you take honors or advanced courses, then it won't hurt you. However, self-studying APs might boost your chances, showing that you are motivated. Online courses are good for that too, although those would be more work.
    · Reply · Share
  • jdroidxwjdroidxw 225 replies69 threads Junior Member
    flvs.net. Is great if you want to take Ap classes they currently have about 10 ish
    · Reply · Share
  • NCdukieNCdukie 163 replies3 threads Junior Member
    That's all relative-- it depends on how many AP classes other students at your school take
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity