Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Biology Review for 2012-2013

kaboorgukaboorgu Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited August 2012 in AP Tests Preparation
For the new 2012-2013 school year, the college board has revised both the AP Biology curriculum and the AP test as well.
I have a few questions on which review books to purchase and when I should do so

- I've read in previous threads that the cliffsnotes version is the best for AP Biology, but the latest edition is from 2009. Should I get the cliffsnotes anyways? How helpful was it?

- The review books for the 2013 test won't be coming out until January-ish -- except PR which is available in September 2012 -- but I also heard the PR AP Bio book is useless.
Should I get the PR book anyways because it is the only review book available (or that's what i heard) for the new 2013 test, even though I also heard it wasn't as helpful..? OR would it be better to wait until January/February for the other review books to come out...exactly how necessary are these review books throughout the school year?

- Are there any books you would recommend for the AP Biology test that are made for the 2013 test?

THANK YOU GUYS. those were a lot of questions...
Post edited by kaboorgu on

Replies to: AP Biology Review for 2012-2013

• 2014nhs2014nhs Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    are you taking an AP Biology course?
    I took the class, and I did not buy a review or prep book, and I still got a 5. I went through all of the earlier chapters of my text book (about 3/4th of the book) and just made flash cards of things I didn't immediately remember. It really helped. I started this 3-4 weeks prior to the exam and it really helped. The strategy also helped for the SAT II Biology test. I took Bio E and did well.
    If you are taking the class I don't think a book is necessary.
  • iheartmath26iheartmath26 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Well Hey! I am not sure about the whole "revised curriculum and test" thing, but as a student who took the test in the past may, I would def. recommend the cliffnotes! It helped to review before the tests and to kind of sum up everything learned on each chapter. Also, a great tool to study is watching the bozemanbiology videos in youtube! They are AWESOME! Enjoy your bio class! Good luck! ;)
    -M.B
  • mlover15mlover15 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    Same situation here! I am just waiting for January ( and praying for Cliffnotes to update it self).
This discussion has been closed.