Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Classes (Self-Studying, etc.)

Kel7833Kel7833 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited August 2012 in AP Tests Preparation
Hi! I just had some specific questions about my schedule and some AP subjects I want to self-study. First, I'm going to be a junior and I've signed up for AP Physics B, AP English (Literature I think), AP Spanish Language, and AP US History. How difficult is the workload for these classes, and how hard are the tests? I also want to self study AP French, AP Euro, and AP Psychology, as my school does not yet offer these. How difficult are these subjects, considering I have good background knowledge in all of them? Also, is it necessary to buy text books for these? Will doing well on self-studied AP tests help significantly with applying to college? Is taking four AP's and self-studying 3 even feasible since I have extra-curriculars, commitments, and the SAT (and PSAT and SAT subject tests) to deal with? Also, I took AP World History last year and got a 5; will the knowledge and experience from this help with APUSH and AP Euro? Thanks so much, I'm new to this website so I apologize if I sound like a broken record and there are tons of posts like this. Thanks again for any help!
Post edited by Kel7833 on

Replies to: AP Classes (Self-Studying, etc.)

• Emily556Emily556 - Posts: 152 Junior Member
    You should be fine! Euro and Psych are easy, I self-studied and got 5's on both.

I'm not terribly sure about AP French though.

Otherwise, your schedule looks just fine. I have info on Euro on my site, but I think that's all.
  • WeekndWeeknd Registered User Posts: 998 Member
    as a Junioor you do AP English Lang
  • shiningmuonshiningmuon Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    SATs are another thing entirely... but almost every junior finds the time to study so i think you should have no problem (i know i didnt)

AP/course wise:
    APUSH - easy 5 (almost laughable when i look back on it) as long as you READ THE TEXTBOOK and pay attention in class (be apart of discussion)
    Physics B - (would assume its easier than self studying both physics cs) easy workload from what i heard from my friends... and easy concepts... dont know how hard the test is though... i know physics Cs were almost laughable to me
    English Lang - really depends on teacher (most are essay heavy.... so lots of work/time but rather easy if you are a good writer) W/E you do DO NOT DROP THIS CLASS (i count it among the 3 most important classes i will/have ever taken - helps you win arguments/good college essays/etc)
    Spanish Language - hard if non native... get a group of friends together and have study group sessions where you only speak spanish to each other... get a set of flashcards and constantly practice at down times during the day... thats the only way you can almost guarantee yourself a 5 on the test
    AP French - do you know french? if you dont... its going to be super super super super super super super super super super difficult to learn in one year i would say impossible but i have a friend who did it (got a 5 on the test too darn him)
    AP Euro - interesting, follow same instructions as apush and you will get a 5
    AP Psych - Love it or hate it this is a memorization class/test... so if you were good at AP bio you should be good at this.... one of a select few AP tests were you can walk in and walk out and truthfully say that there wasnt a single thing tested that wasnt in the ap prep book

Suggestions: if you arent at least a third year french student or are a native french speaker... self study something else.... maybe try micro or macro econ (maybe calc ab)... maybe bio... maybe comparative gov... maybe compsci....
This discussion has been closed.