Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP sciences worth it?

808wawa808wawa Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited November 2012 in AP Tests Preparation
So starting sophmore year I began taking APs in the sciences primarily chem/bio/physics. I was hoping that this would help me get around the freshman introduction courses in college, but I realized that the pre-med track (which I may follow) does not recognize ap credit for taking these classes in college. I have a limit on the number of APs I can take at my high school so should I be filling the limit with non-science aps since I will have to take the sciences in college anyways?
Thanks!
Post edited by 808wawa on

Replies to: AP sciences worth it?

• xthrillakillaxxthrillakillax Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    I think you should take them anyway. Most selective schools require that you take a course of biology, chemistry and phyiscs in highschool anyway, so they might as well be AP.
  • liveforscienceliveforscience Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    I agree. Furthermore, if you have to retake it in college, then at least you'll have a solid foundation in your core classes. If you didn't take the APs for those, you wouldn't have as good of a basis in your biology, chemistry, etc.

Admittedly, it depends on the limit. My school allows you to take 5ish (theoretically as many as you want, but unrealistic) but only for junior and senior year.
  • WiseGuyWiseGuy Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    Yes, definitely take them regardless of credit. Some colleges do offer credit for all three of those, or some sort of placement exam, so depending on where to attend, you can figure it out then. If you're interested in pre-med, bio/physics/chem should be interesting to you anyway, though, right?
  • aldfig0aldfig0 Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    A lot of premeds have taken the AP science classes in high school already and you'll be at a disadvantage if you haven't taken them.
This discussion has been closed.