Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should i take Precalculus or AP Calculus AB next year?

pink997pink997 Registered User Posts: 384 Member
edited December 2013 in AP Tests Preparation
I am currently a 10th grader that is attending a British international school. Next year i plan to move to the American international school so i can do AP's instead of A Levels (British equivalent). The only problem with this transition is the fact that i dont know which maths class i'll place into (which is really important since its my strongesr subject and also because i plan to major in finance therefore i need to take the most advanced math classes). At my current school our maths classes are divided up in terms of ability. I am in the top set and therefore i am one year ahead in comparison with my peers. I know i have completed Algebra I, Geometry & Algebra II however the maths course i am taking now is IGCSE Additional Maths. I think most of the topics taught on trig etc are the equivalent of precal as i am have looked at the other schools precal syllabus.

Can you guys please look at both the syllabuses and tell me if i am covering all the essential prerequisite topics i need for AP Calculus AB as i prefer to take that next year.

IGCSE Additional Maths (Refer to pages 9-12): http://www.cie.org.uk/images/88852-2014-syllabus.pdf
Pre calculus: [url]https://****/file/d/0BxDE6CXd91JhR0lzc1g3bHhwb0k/edit[/url]

Thanks for the help :)
Post edited by pink997 on

Replies to: Should i take Precalculus or AP Calculus AB next year?

• pink997pink997 Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    bump bumpbump
  • Legacy2277Legacy2277 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    You'll actually have covered the two main ideas in calculus looking at your syllabus. All the important precalc ideas you should learn. The last part of the syllabus (differentiation and integration) seems to cover a bit over half of AP Calc AB. The remainder of calc AB is primarily simple techniques based on what you'll learn there.
  • mapletree7mapletree7 Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    Even AP Calculus AB will primarily be review for you. I'd try doing AP Calculus BC instead.
    Even AP Calculus AB will primarily be review for you. I'd try doing AP Calculus BC instead

I can't do AP Calculus BC next year as it is the hardest math class in my school. Therefore, i won't have a maths class to take senior year.
    You'll actually have covered the two main ideas in calculus looking at your syllabus. All the important precalc ideas you should learn. The last part of the syllabus (differentiation and integration) seems to cover a bit over half of AP Calc AB. The remainder of calc AB is primarily simple techniques based on what you'll learn there

I should also mention although im doing IGCSE Additional Maths im finding it quite difficult to grasp some of the concepts . So do you think i should skip pre cal now? And what are the topics i need from pre cal for AP Calculus AB?
  • jdroidxwjdroidxw Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    Quite honestly, the only thing I found helpful from precalc was the unit circle and a little bit of trig identities. I wasnt that strong in precalc but aced AP calc AB and BC, and scoring a 5 on both exams. You should be fine.
  • Legacy2277Legacy2277 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    You can take a math senior year at most high schools by concurrent enrollment in a local university or community college if you ran out of math. Always consider concurrent enrollment as an option to do interesting courses past AP. I have a friend considering organic chemistry senior year since he's doing AP chem now and likes chemistry.

Anyways calc AB will teach you little important ideas with the content you'll have gone through so calc bc and then either no math senior year or take math through dual enrollment. After Calc BC normally people take either Calc 3 (aka multivariate calc) or linear algebra and each of those is a one semester course which should cover your senior year.
    You can take a math senior year at most high schools by concurrent enrollment in a local university or community college if you ran out of math. Always consider concurrent enrollment as an option to do interesting courses past AP.

That seems like a great option, but since i live in a country in the middle east where that option definitely isn't available to me i have no choice but to do AB junior year & BC senior year or pre-calculus honors junior year and BC senior year.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.