Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

AP Classes!

KaranMITKaranMIT Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
edited May 2014 in AP Tests Preparation
Being a Junior, I haven't taken any AP classes. Particularly, there are no AP classes offered in my high-school. However, I want to go to ivy-leagues; therefore, they require one to take as many AP's as they can. Therefore, my question is How should I take AP classes in my senior year of high school? (If possible, by some kind of source, which I am not aware of) and How many AP classes should I take?

My cousins are telling me to take maximum amount of AP's to boost the chances for my application?

Clubs and Organizations fall under the same category. What should I do? How do I, possibly, start a club? Any ideas???

Thanks... :)

Replies to: AP Classes!

• AiYaaaaAiYaaaa Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Well, if you want to self study, you might be able to tackle few AP tests.

For me I think that APs are best done in a classroom environment (but not necessarily true for everyone). However, there are some AP tests which I think is really easy if you are up for self study.

I think that the AP English and Composition test would certainly be doable for someone who is determined to do it. Not sure if any of your English classes have taught you anything about rhetorical strategies and ways to write a good essay by incorporating these elements into your essays. However, this certainly is a doable test.

AP English and Literature may also be doable if you think that you are up to the task. Make sure that you have read the books on the curriculum that they want (you can Google that) and show up the most often on the test. It's important to be able to rhetorically analyze the text for this test (and English Comp test too).

AP social studies might be a stretch because there are lots of memorization and facts that can get really confusing without a teacher's guidance.

AP sciences are also a bit tricky because many of these classes cover a wide spectrum of topics and it might be really hard to self study.

Yeah... This is what I think about the test.. Oh also, if you happen to speak a foreign language like Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Latin (???) you could also take the foreign language tests.
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    Science is a stretch, I'd recommend U.S. History or Government (not as much stuff to memorize as Euro), because social sciences are something you can study and memorize, it's not as teacher-required (although it certainly doesn't hurt) as say, math.
  • AiYaaaaAiYaaaa Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Oh yeah, how could I forget US History and Gov.. Those two classes are certainly easier than something like Euro or Art History.. Also you might want to check out CrashCourse YouTube channel to get a feel for what the content is like for some of the classes. Also check out getafive.com for really great reviews on some (only 4, such a shame) topics like US History and Biology..
  • KaranMITKaranMIT Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    @AiYaaaa‌ @MRnE No stratergies are taught at school. Matter a fact, the seniors in our school haven't done any AP's because of irresponsible school. In any case, I have to crack these AP's by myself. Knowing I am NOT-SO good at English when it comes to critical reading. What should be my top choice for taking AP's? (What Subjects?)
This discussion has been closed.