Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

AP BOOSTS YER GRADES?

KaranMITKaranMIT Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
To begin, I have (Approx.) 3.5 GPA in my highschool. With A's and A-'s but only D+ in English. Don't ask why? Well, even if you did, the reason is because my English teacher is racist against Indian's and Pakistani's.

BACKGROUND
Initially, she used to cut me down while I was speaking in front of the class and pass on sarcastic comments towards me. I did complain several times but I, literally, have a bad fate. Why? Well, because our vice-principle and my English teacher are very close friends. Therefore, when I complained once about her blithe attitude and her being racists he (Vice-Principle) merely said "ok." The next thing you know he tells my English teacher that I complained about her; therefore, she gets more angry at me and my grade swoops from B+ to a D+. Why? Because I have C- and F's in class participation, which to me is extremely ridiculious because I do participate. Enough about her. To let you guys know that I am really proficient in English, in my Sophomore year, I got an A or an A- in my English class because someother teacher used to teach my class, but she left the school because our vice-principle had fired her to give the HIgh-School English Teacher's position to her very-good friend (My current English teacher).

In any case, with SAT and SAT subject tests going on I, literally, have no time to complain about how I get treated in her class. Ask my soul, he'll tell you that I get treated like I am complete retard in her class. In addition, I know even if I went to complain about her the matter would backfire on me, knowing, I am 100% right.

Solutions???
That is the background, guys. What solution can you guys give me? I really want to go to either Ivy-League or MIT. Please help me out!! Albeit, I have heard taking AP classes at school ( My school doesn't offer any) really boosts up ones grade? If so, how do I get advantage of that?

Replies to: AP BOOSTS YER GRADES?

• mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    Really boosts? It's a one point GPA bump per class, which may or may not be significant depending on your POV. And that bump is difficult to earn, AP's work you.

If your school doesn't offer any, try online. What grade are you in?
  • KaranMITKaranMIT Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    11th grade currently; however, after the summer break (In 15 days) I'll be a senior student.
    @mrnephew‌ I asked my counselor and she said that the school will not boost up your GPA whether or not you take courses from BYU or some other website. The only benefit I have is that the that the colleges will see that I have done something beyond school level.

So what can I do?? :/
  • MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,735 Senior Member
    Are you really proficient in English? "Your." "Indians and Pakistanis." Use "principal" instead of "principle."

I'm not sure if a 1 pt "boost" will be significant enough, because a D in an AP class is still a D. I don't think there's anything you can do now with the D+ in English, but if other students also make allegations against the teacher, the principal could (and should) investigate it.
    @MITer94‌ I typed that under 5 minutes before heading to school. Yes, I was extremely frustrated when I typed it. In any case, I am sorry for making few grammatical errors especially while trying to disdain my English teacher. Anyhow, my mind is set for 800 on Math level 2, hence I used principle instead of the correct word because of the principle amount(exponential functions..?) . I am sorry.
  • MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,735 Senior Member
    @KaranMIT okay then.

Still, a D+ is not going to help when applying to an Ivy League school or MIT...you might want to appeal it with your teacher, or just work your butt off and finish well (I'm not sure if school's over for you, but it seems like it's not). An 800 on Math II is good, but doesn't stand out. The best schools want to see that you have taken the most rigorous and interesting classes available to you, even if they're not AP classes (I know a few MIT students here who didn't take a single AP).
  • mrnephewmrnephew Registered User Posts: 4,021 Senior Member
    Yeah, I agree with the above post. A D is still a D. It's going to hurt, and while taking advanced courses will help you, it's not going to cover that up.
This discussion has been closed.