Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

AP Human Geography, World History, or Psychology?

2»

Replies to: AP Human Geography, World History, or Psychology?

• MidNiteTotsMidNiteTots Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2014
  • LosingCrayonLosingCrayon Registered User Posts: 569 Member
    edited June 2014
    @MidNiteTots‌ AP World History is a lot harder than AP Human Geography and AP Psychology. He's already probably going to self-study at least one of those two anyways; I don't see why you think he's not putting any work into school. And he's going to be a freshman next year. Most high schools don't even let freshmen take AP. AP World History is an extremely broad subject, that most freshmen can't even handle. And on top of all of that, he has only 3 months to prepare for the mock exam that will determine if he can take the AP exam or not.

A lot of people don't have the option to take such high level classes as underclassmen. At my school, there are only two AP courses freshmen and sophomores can take. Most schools simply don't have honors programs that go that high. At my school, the highest math you can take is just one year ahead. Most of the people that are taking AP Calculus as underclassmen were able to start early. A lot of schools are really strict, too. I wanted to get another year ahead in math by self-studying or taking an online course, but my school wouldn't allow it.

Also, he's going beyond his curriculum anyway. I'm guessing his school doesn't offer those courses, so no college will look down at him for not taking the exams. Not taking the exams wouldn't put him at a disadvantage at all. Colleges judge you based on the courses your school offers, not other random students. He is putting effort into school, though! :) I mean, it seems he is going to self-study for at least one of the AP exams, and he has to take the mock exam(s) September. He just doesn't have enough time for AP World History. He was considering it in the first place, so that shows he did have some interest! :)

Edit: I now see that you removed your last post. I finished typing this before I refreshed my page, so I didn't know at the time of posting this.
  • niletheriverniletheriver Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    (I was about to comment too before @MidNiteTots deleted the previous post, but I digress)
    Besides, even if the OP was considering World History in the first place, and is still insistent on taking the exam (and most likely self-studying), there is still plenty of time to do so in the four years of high school. The exam material would just have to be studied more extensively, perhaps in the time frame of over a year, so that instead of studying for the mock exam this September, the OP would just prepare for the same exam the following year, perhaps when they will be more ready.
  • MidNiteTotsMidNiteTots Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm not trying to bash on anyone really, I'm telling the OP to take AP World History (although it is the most rigorous choice out of the three classes, it is the most favorable in the eyes of most every single college) because I think he is able to handle it. I took it as a freshman and I honestly did have to put work into reading the material every day, but I was able to receive A's (top 15 schools in the nation, so it wasn't easy at all )and the preparation I did (only about 45 minutes a day) really helped me on the exam. Also I'm no expert in history; I barely pay attention to the events going on around me today and I have no preference towards history, it's one of my least favorite subjects, and I find it to be absolutely boring.
  • niletheriverniletheriver Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    The span of three months in order to prepare for the mock exam before the OP even gets a chance to take the national AP exam is rather unrealistic to be studying such a content-heavy course alone. If such a course was offered at the school or the OP was given a chance to study only for the World History exam in May, it could be done. But given such a short timeframe, another exam would be more feasible. Again, given the circumstances, if the OP has their heart set out on taking the AP World History exam via self-study, it would be best advised to begin studying right now but use the extra time of another year to finish the material for a supposed next-year-mock-exam.
  • AimHighSoarHighAimHighSoarHigh Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for everyone's feedback!

I agree with @niletheriver that given that I only have 3 months to prepare I think APWH will be too much memorizing.

I still have a few days before I do finalize my decision, though. Anything could happen. I think I'm going to schedule a meeting with my counsellor to ask him for his advice.

Once again, thanks! I've sincerely appreciated every word you guys posted!
  • TorveauxTorveaux Registered User Posts: 1,461 Senior Member
    More important, IMHO, is what is your purpose in taking the AP exam? Are you looking to get credits so you don't have to take those classes in college? Are you shooting for an award like AP Scholar? Do you think the AP test is going to show you to be an awesome student on applications? Are you just interesting in studying?

edited June 2014
    @Torveaux A little bit of all, I suppose.
  • TorveauxTorveaux Registered User Posts: 1,461 Senior Member
    Well, it it is for credits, you need to make sure whatever college you eventually attend actually grants credit. You may also want to consider if the subject is not your favorite, do it as AP so you can attend college classes that are more in line with your interests.

The AP stuff is not that big of a driver for admissions. Most students take most of their tests as seniors, so the results are not even out by the time they have made decisions on where to attend. Taking the classes shows more rigor than an oridnary class, but the tests are just another test of your ability.

Good luck.
  • wcao9311wcao9311 Registered User Posts: 931 Member
    Human Geo and psychology ARE NOT given college credit for the most selective colleges. Also AP scores are
    NOT a factor in Admissions.
    edited June 2014
    ... Guys you are making me feel depressed. So are you telling me that if I self-study for an AP exam, before even stepping into High School, I will still not impress admission officers?!

Thanks in advance.
  • LosingCrayonLosingCrayon Registered User Posts: 569 Member
    Self-studying a few APs won't be the difference between getting into an Ivy League or not, but it does show that you went above and beyond the curriculum at your school, taking the initiative :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.