Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tips for self studying?

tomjagner17tomjagner17 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
Would it make sense to self study AP Tests even if you have them as a course at your school. I am going to be a sophomore next year and I want to self study AP Statistics, AP Microeconomics, and AP Environmental Science as well as actually take the APUSH Course at my school?

Replies to: Tips for self studying?

• tola2015tola2015 Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    Yes, your teacher may not cover all the material that may be on the exam before the exam comes around. Also, getting prep books helps refresh your memory on things you may have forgotten in the first semester. In addition, are those classes even offered to sophomores? If you plan on taking those courses, I would take the course and self-study. If you don't plan on taking the course, then just self-study. But if your school offers it you might as well take it.
  • tomjagner17tomjagner17 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Well the only courses they dont offer is AP Microeconomics and everything else I have to wait until i'm either a senior or i have a schedule conflict which doesnt allow me to take the course. So I just thought I should self-study. Would it be too much considering that Im taking APUSH as the course.
  • jimmyboy23jimmyboy23 Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    The best reason to self-study is because of schedule conflicts or the school not offering the course. That being said it sounds like you want to self-study the equivalence of 2 full year AP courses (counting Micro and Enviro as semester). This is a lot for a sophomore to handle. Self-studying is hard because it is literally adding another course to your schedule. If you just want a three on the exam then you would need about thirty minutes per course per day to study. If you want a confident 4-5 then you will need to study about an hour per day per course. This would really cut into your time for other activities making it nearly impossible to do a major sport or any other time-consuming extra-curricular activity like becoming class president or going out for a play. If you have no extra-curriculars that are time-consuming (I mean meeting everyday for more than an hour) then it is possible to do this self-study for about two hours of work a day.
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    Self-studying AP Computer Science as an 8th grader was useful because then higher-level dual-enrollment CS classes can be taken in high school. Also, AP scores can be listed on applications for summer programs and internships. Local HS does not allow taking AP Computer Science until junior year because the class is full and upperclassmen get priority.
This discussion has been closed.