Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this reasonable?

Benjamin6Benjamin6 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi guys,
I am currently taking Chemistry in a college class. The reason why is because my school does not offer AP Chemistry. My school said that I need to take the course, take the AP exam, and get a 5 on the AP test in order for me to receive AP credit for this class (In another words, bumped GPA.) I want to know if that's the same with other schools. I believe since I take a lot more time than my peers by going to college class outside my high school and take more rigorous classes, I should get the AP credit.

Replies to: Is this reasonable?

• guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,855 Forum Champion
    Different high schools do it differently. I think that's completely reasonable. College curriculums can greatly vary, but the AP exam is standardized. This is your school's way of comparing your experience to that of others at your school. Many high schools (all where I went to school, majority in surrounding areas, but that trend may not apply everywhere in the country) won't include college courses at all in your gpa, maybe not even on your transcript. Is the class dual enrollment, dual credit, or are you taking it on the side?
  • jimmyboy23jimmyboy23 Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    The only reason this isn't reasonable is because they are asking you to get a five. If it was a 3 it would be reasonable
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,855 Forum Champion
    Oh, I didn't see the part about a 5. I still think it would be reasonable- some colleges don't give credit unless you get a 5. Although, I agree, it would be more fair if they allowed a 4.
This discussion has been closed.