Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ap stats easy or hard?

DeceptersDecepters Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
planning to take both pre calc & ap stats senior year. heard ap stats is easy but want to make sure.

Replies to: ap stats easy or hard?

  • Andr01dAndr01d Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    I've heard from friends both who are and aren't that good in math that it isn't hard. Although it is still math, so you need to be reasonably good in it...

    The community college I have taken some dual enrollment classes in has a stats class that's supposedly the equivalent of AP stats, and it's just one semester. The other classes I've taken that they claim are the same as APs actually are, so I don't believe it's easier than AP stats.
  • SmargentSmargent Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    I took precalc and ap stats together sophomore year and had a fine time. But...I'm pretty decent at math and we're on the trimester, so they only overlapped 1 trimester.
  • jimmyboy23jimmyboy23 Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    AP stats is about as much math as AP econ. The main thing is getting the methods down and how to plug things into your calculator. Then, it is just interpreting the numbers and graphs you get. It's a mid level AP but leans toward the easier side.
  • ObitoSigmaObitoSigma Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    I am taking the class right now, and I find it to be quite fun. Some topics are debatable in probability, but it was always fun to try to figure out how to work out an individual problem.

    For example, what are the odds that the FIRST "Tails" you get would be your THIRD flip when you coin is unfair and has an 80% increased chance of getting heads? Since Heads and Tails both have 50%, an 80% increase would give Heads the unfair advantage of 90%, leaving the odds of getting Tails only 10%. Then, to get Tails as your third flip, you would have to NOT get Tails in your first two flips. The complement is 90% (since Heads is the only non-Tails), then in order to get a non-Tails two times in a row, you would have to multiply them. 90%x90%=81%. Now, for the third flip, it HAS to be Tails. This means that you would multiply 81% by 10% to get 8.1%. There is an 8.1% of having Tails be your third flip.

    Do you see how fun that is?! I made that up as I wrote it! (not the answer, of course; just the question) If you stop thinking about the difficulty and start getting engaged in the topics, then it should be much easier! There are those classes that require you to skim through the lessons for two seconds and move on (AP Bio, AP World His, etc...), and there are the classes that merely require an understanding of the course. (AP Stats, AP Calc, AP Physics, I'm trying to think of non-Math classes :P ) As long as you understand what you are doing, then the class and exam should be nothing more than a breeze.
  • PhilipLPhilipL Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    I'm taking the class now, and it's okay. I'm a math person to the extreme, and I'll say that AP Stats is more for the smart people that aren't very good at math/that are trying to get out of AP Calculus... I'm looking forward to AP Calc next year. Stats is interesting, but it's not really my thing. There's not enough actual math involved for me. It's not difficult, but it's not easy. I'd say take it if you like math. I'm still hoping for a 5 on the exam.
  • MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    @ObitoSigma Meh, geometric distributions. Not the most interesting type of distribution, but there are some interesting probability problems out there at the AIME/olympiad level.

    Even though statistics and probability theory are interesting subjects, AP stats wasn't really that fulfilling for me, and lots of useful topics in statistics (such as covariance) aren't even covered in AP stats. Since it's not calculus-based, a lot of other topics are barely touched on.

This discussion has been closed.