Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Taking AP classes, but not the exam?

purplepianopurplepiano Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
I'm a junior, and I'm currently taking 7 AP classes this year. If I understand correctly, we self-report the AP exam scores on the Common App (for the schools that use it), and then send an official score report to wherever we choose to attend for placement purposes (correct me if I'm wrong?).

I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my application if I did not take the AP exams for all 7 classes. I feel like I would score higher if I took only 5 this year; I'd have more time to adequately prepare for each of them. Also, I plan on majoring in engineering, and I don't think a couple of my exams would me give any exemption or credit, because they're not really part of an engineering curriculum (I know that UVA, one of my top choice schools, has no foreign language requirement for SEAS). However, since the scores can be reported on the Common App, does it look like I was lazy to not take the exams for all of the applicable classes? I also know that scoring high on multiple AP exams means being an AP Scholar, but how significant is this award?

If it makes a difference, here are the APs I'm taking this year:
1. AP US History
2. AP Statistics
3. AP French
4. AP Environmental Science
5. AP Physics C: Mech
6. AP English Lang
7. AP Calculus AB
This discussion has been closed.