Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

General Qestions about APs

Schoolgirl24601Schoolgirl24601 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited April 2015 in AP Tests Preparation
1. How are APs important in college admissions? Do they look better?
2. What APs are the easiest to self study (besides Psych)?
3. What books would you recommend for the self study courses?
4. How much time do you typically spend preparing for a self studied AP subject?
5. What's a good rule of thumb for how many APs you take?

Thanks a bunch!

Replies to: General Qestions about APs

• Argentina2017Argentina2017 Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    Hi! This is what I savvy:

1. Taking AP classes shows that you challenge yourself. So yes, they look good (but maybe taking tooo many looks a bit obsessed). Also, I believe that, if your high school doesn`t offer these classes, self studying shows initiative.

2. Of course, this depends on what you like, and what are better at. But generally, I would say Micro, Macro, Env Science, Comp Gov, US Gov are all easy. Then, you can also self study Art History, Euro, World, APUSH, Statistics. I mean, these may take longer but it´s better to take APUSH than Comp Gov and Env Science together (depending on what you want to study, but it`s an example).

3. Check old posts. Review books are generally enough. You may need a textbook for Biology, Physics, Literature.

4. Depends on the subject, how fast you learn, motivation. For example, You can get a 5 in Micro with 10 days, but it may take you longer to study for APUSH.

5. No rule. Study the subjects you like, the ones that can earn you credit or the ones that will help you in your career. However, be realistic. Even if you have a lot of time, don`t self study all 3 history exams. It`s better to have two 5`s than five 3`s

Best of luck with self studying! At times, it can be overwhelming, but the reward of getting a good mark is awesome.
This discussion has been closed.