Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Which AP Physics?

PerblerPerbler Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
Hey guys, I'm currently a rising senior planning to apply to college in an engineering field. However, I have no background in Physics yet.

My school does not offer any AP physics course, but it does offer an honors physics course that I will be taking this year. So I've decided to self-study one of the AP physics; I self-studied AP Chemistry and know I got at least a 4 on the exam so I think I'll be able to keep up with an AP physics.

The question is, though, which one should I study? I have heard that one of the AP physics C is the best prep for engineering, but will it be too difficult with no prior physics knowlege? I also have yet to learn Calculus but I will be taking BC next year.

I plan to start studying over summer, but will Physics C simply be too difficult? I'm willing to put in the work necessary

Thanks for any advice :)

Replies to: Which AP Physics?

• NotYetEngineerNotYetEngineer Registered User Posts: 394 Member
    If you've no prior knowledge of calculus, then the best class for you to take/study for would be the AP Physics 1/2 series, which are primarily algebra-based.

The AP Physics C series is meant to be taken concurrently with a Calculus series (if you've not taken it yet). Since you are not taking any calculus until next year, I would not recommend trying to take the Physics C AP test.
  • classof2k16classof2k16 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I agree. I took physics 1 this year with no calculus as my first physics class. I wouldn't say it was very hard, but there was plenty of material to be covered, especially since we had to start with the extreme basics (vectors, velocity etc).
This discussion has been closed.