Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Tips for self-studying ap courses

Cardinals2000Cardinals2000 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
This year I am self-studying 4 ap courses: world history, human geography, comparative government and politics and chinese language and culture. I've gotten 2 review books and a set of flashcards for each course. Any tips?

Replies to: Tips for self-studying ap courses

• ThatuserThatuser Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    I took AP Comp. Gov as a self-study sophomore year, and APWH as a self-study junior year.
    For Comp. Gov, I would strong recommend Ethel Wood's guide: http://www.amazon.com/Comparative-Government-Politics-Essential-Coursebook/dp/0983176698
    If you want an older version, here's a pdf: http://www.marshfield.k12.wi.us/cms_files/resources/AP Comparative Study Guide.pdf
    That's honestly all I used to self-study. It contains all of the historical information needed. To stay current (the test does test on some questions pertaining to the post-2005 era), I would start reading news articles from the countries tested. I found the New York Times and BBC articles online pretty informative.
    For APWH, I got Barron's and it more than the information I needed for the test (overprep). For WH, I would focus a lot on mastering the DBQ and CCOT essays, as there's a pretty specific format you need to follow for both of them, and if you don't follow the format, even if your essay is otherwise perfect, then you probably won't get a great score. Good luck and happy studying!
This discussion has been closed.