Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Is taking the AP English Lit EXAM useful?

objph9objph9 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 2016 in AP Tests Preparation
TL;DR 5 in AP Lang and going to UCs so would gain no credits from Lit; Lit not particularly liked and would rather enjoy literature by self rather by mandate

I am currently a senior and planning to attend an UC.

I received a 5 on AP Lang so wouldn't get credits for AP Lit.
I have already registered for AP Lit on a reduced fee but senioritis is urging me to reconsider.

I enjoy reading but strongly dislike the AP Lit/IB English combination class (not taking any IB exams) because the teacher is kind but gives a lot of assignments graded harshly (also geared towards IB). The class is developing an association between literature and boredom + stress + forced annotating rather than inspiration + ideas. I am accepted as Undeclared in the College of Letters and Sciences or equivalent in UCI, UCSD, and UCLA (waiting for UCB).

Would taking or doing well on AP Lit exam in May yield _any benefit_?
Would putting in the effort to get more than a C in the class or more than a 3 on the test worthwhile (besides practicing writing AP-style and earning teacher's and peers' respect)?

Replies to: Is taking the AP English Lit EXAM useful?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 27,864 Super Moderator
    Would taking or doing well on AP Lit exam in May yield _any benefit_?
    In your case, no. So long as your HS does not require you to take the exam.
    Would putting in the effort to get more than a C in the class
    I'd put the effort in here. You might aim for a C and wind up with a D.
This discussion has been closed.