Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I get credit if I use Multivariable calculus on the AP Calculus Exam?

Danny127178Danny127178 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
So currently I'm taking AP Calculus and Calculus II at UPENN (which I assume is like calculus III in other colleges). I was wondering if the people grading the tests would give me credit, especially on the FRQ's for work, if I use multivariable calculus stuff. I mean, there are severable instances where some theorems come in handier than the way we're taught in ap calculus. Like implicit differentiation can easily be done by the formula dy/dx = -Fx/Fy by partials, etc. o.O Cause I don't want to be getting correct answers but not getting credit for showing work.

Replies to: Do I get credit if I use Multivariable calculus on the AP Calculus Exam?

• butterflylemonbutterflylemon Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I recommend you look at the scoring guides for the released AP Calculus FRQ'S and see what the graders gave points for. That should help you answer your question!
  • gormar099gormar099 Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm not sure what the CollegeBoard policy is, but I wouldn't. Can't you just stick to the boundaries of what's being tested? Implicit is pretty straightforward (and doesn't tend to appear on FRQ's that much, anyway). I guess if you don't know how to do it without multi, go for it, but otherwise stick to the boundaries of AP Calc.
This discussion has been closed.