Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do you get into AP classes?

Ilovepizza19Ilovepizza19 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
Recommendation from teacher? Or does it depend on how well you did in that class? Sorry if this is the wrong category to put this in

Replies to: How do you get into AP classes?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Ask your school -- different everywhere.
  • microssrunner17microssrunner17 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    Ask your guidance counselor
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Registered User Posts: 8,987 Senior Member
    At most high schools, you just need to do well in the prerequisite class (B or higher) and maybe get a signature from whoever teaches it. At some high schools, AP classes have a competitive admissions process.
  • nyuhopeful44nyuhopeful44 Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    At my school you just sign up for it
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,397 Forum Champion
    usually you take Honors versions of the pre-req courses
  • PhantomlinkPhantomlink Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    At my school you just have to complete the pre-reqs (if any) and then sign up for it.
  • Ilovepizza19Ilovepizza19 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
  • KYDEGUKYDEGU Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    It's fairly different from school to school. As you read, some people just sign up. At my school, we had to do practice assignments and turn them in. For your school, you have to ask your guidance counselor.
    Also, one thing I wish I knew for my sophomore year was that we can self study courses. My high school definitely did not mention this and yours probably won't to. Also, I talked to my counselor about doing this for my junior year so all of this is completely true.
    So according to the college board, in order to get AP credit you JUST have to take the AP exam in May. How you study that is completely up to you. Taking an AP class is the well known route. However, if you want to self study for any course (regardless if your school offers it or not) you can do it on your spare time. A month or two before the AP exams, request that an AP coordinator gets you the exam for that AP. If you chose to self study a course that your school doesn't offer, then you'll have to take the test at a high school that does offer it. The locations can be found with the contact info on the college board website.
    Also, if you're considering this, I recommend you read stories for that AP on this website. So you know what to expect. Also, I recommend buying AP books for that AP like Barron's, 5 Ways to a 5 on ... for apes, I bought the Princeton review book and the smartypants guide
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,397 Forum Champion
    Self-studying for college credit is fine...but colleges don't care about that for admissions...it is how you do in the classes you take in HS that are important.
    @bopper @KYDEGU thank you guys for the help!! I'll give you feedback
  • writer80writer80 Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    You need a teacher recommendation and an A the first two semesters in the prerequisite at my school
  • adiacsadiacs Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    At my school you need to to do the prerequisites and be the appropriate grade level, then a teacher recommendation but you can easily override it with a parent's signature.
    @adiacs @writer80 Thank you guys
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    at my daughter's school she needed a teacher recommendation and had to take a test. They have a large project due for the APUSH and APEnglish.
    @Mom2girls I'll give y'all feedback and Good luck to your daughter!
This discussion has been closed.