Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Physics 1 Credit

lhw1998lhw1998 Registered User Posts: 483 Member
So I've been looking into college credit policies and I noticed that very few colleges offer any credit for AP Physics 1 or 2 courses and only recognize AP Physics C, regardless of the score you receive. Why is this?

Replies to: AP Physics 1 Credit

• ZealousScholarZealousScholar Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    This is the case because AP Physics 1 is a very concept based algebra physics. College Physics 1 goes more in depth and learns a lot more application than AP Physics 1. AP Physics C however, is VERY rigorous, and has an appropriate balance of concept and application to match more colleges.
  • lhw1998lhw1998 Registered User Posts: 483 Member
    So is all college-level physics Calculus based or what?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,161 Super Moderator
    So is all college-level physics Calculus based or what?
    Or what.

Although it will depend on the college, physics courses for physics/natural sciences majors are calculus based. Physics courses for bio majors, pre-meds, and pretty much anybody else are algebra based.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,161 Super Moderator
    This is the case because AP Physics 1 is a very concept based algebra physics. College Physics 1 goes more in depth and learns a lot more application than AP Physics 1. AP Physics C however, is VERY rigorous, and has an appropriate balance of concept and application to match more colleges.
    While potentially valid, I would also say that the colleges that don't give credit for Physics 1 also don't give credit for other AP exams which require little to no background in the subject, like Human Geography and CS Principles and/or don't give credit where the majority of students are freshman/sophs (e.g. World History). More colleges gave credit for the old AP Physics B exam, which was also algebra-based, because, IMO, it required intro physics as a pre-req.

Regardless, any college that does give credit for Physics 1 will limit AP Physics credit. I.e. it's unlikely that you would get credit for AP Physics 1/2/C:Mech/C:E&M.
This discussion has been closed.