Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can high schools bar you from taking an AP exam without the course?

underscoreoneunderscoreone Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
Hi, I am a junior who has watched the entire Khan Academy playlist on Calculus out of my own interest for months, and I know how to answer the questions on the BC exam. However, I have taken neither AP Calculus AB or BC. Initially I didn't know that it was possible to take an AP exam without actually sitting the course, but when I found it was possible to 'self-study' I was very pleased because I might be able to receive college credit. However, my school said students who wanted to self-study had to print out a waiver and have it signed by the department head for the subject. When I brought the waiver and asked the math dept. head to sign it, he refused saying that only under "very special circumstances" could someone take the exam without the course. However, I see lots of articles/posts online about people self-studying.

Are there other schools out there that will bar students from the exam if they haven't taken the course? Is there a way to get around this (for example, can I take the AP exam somewhere else)?

Replies to: Can high schools bar you from taking an AP exam without the course?

  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,339 Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    It is possible to take the exam at various schools, but you are probably too late for registering at a different school.

    One approach you could try is see if you can register for the CLEP exam. Typically it is offered at community colleges or universities. Ours you can walk in and register any time and they are scheduled about a week out. The results are given immediately. If you walk out of the CLEP exam with a score in the 70s, you would probably be able to meet with someone to argue your position with strong evidence. Universities that give credit for the CLEP exam don't usually require that high of a score.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,753 Senior Member
    You can take the AP exam anywhere that offers it that agrees to do it- Here is the College Board guide to finding a test center. Unfortunately you have missed this year's cut off dates. Your school could still late-register you (it's more expensive though), but obviously you would have to get the Math department person to change their mind.
This discussion has been closed.